new machine when Intel drops prices April 20th...

nearly every site computer related has confirmed an April 20th price drop.

But then again, AMD didn't do there price drop the 7th when they said they would.....maybe there are waiting for Intel first?

I'm also looking at AMD's stuff... being they are wayy cheaper, and Mobos are cheaper too and in some cases better.

I can see as much as $200-300 cheaper for an AMD quad system that is just barely slower than the Q6600. That and AMD's stuff is more future proof with their backwards compatibility mobos.

I've been using amd for years. Always served me well and my wallet has been the fuller for it.

yeah, funny thing is that my old AMD 4400+ will render a project about 25% faster than my newer E6600 intel:Smug: yet everyone praises Intel Core2Duo.

That in itself makes me think the AMD Quadcores might be a better deal for me.

actually, they are not too bad.....the errant error they had rarely applies to anything people have said. Plus the performance is only a hair under the Intel quads.

A AMD quad system would be like:

APEX TX- 381 Black Steel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case $49.99

Link Depot 10 ft. HDMI To DVI Cable, Black Model HDMI-DVI-3 $10.99

ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI mATX $74.99

SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM ATX12V 2.2 /EPS12V 2.91 PS $106.99

AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.2GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad $215.99

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $FREE w/AMD 9600

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA $129.99

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B $29.99

-------------

$618.93

Not only a $100 cheaper....but free 4GB of ram with the 9600 quad!:headbang: And the onboard video is the best you can buy, and you can crossfire it too!

What to do, what to do.....

i'll just have to see how the price drops go, and how AMD will react to it before I make a decision.

You are kidding, right? It's good for the theoretical "price" you pay to get a mobo with it...

It is.....

I'm not saying Onboard Video, is the best video you can buy, as in its better than discrete video.

I'm saying the 780g Mobos for AMD have the best onboard video you can buy....Integrated Graphics wise that is. Plus you can hybrid crossfire it with an addition video card if you like playing kickass games at uberhigh settings:err:

It is.....

I'm not saying Onboard Video, is the best video you can buy, as in its better than discrete video.

I'm saying the 780g Mobos for AMD have the best onboard video you can buy....Integrated Graphics wise that is. Plus you can hybrid crossfire it with an addition video card if you like playing kickass games at uberhigh settings:err:

Ok good. :lol: That's what I hoped you meant.

anyone have any recommendations for motherboards to go with a core2quad? I don't know anything about motherboards, so i wanna get some recommendations before i drop the cash for a new computer. Also (non audio related), nvidia or ATI? i've been an nvidia user for a while, but i've been tempted to try a radeon. I recall hearing nvidia holds the patent/rights to anti-ailiasing on their graphics cards.

anyone have any recommendations for motherboards to go with a core2quad? I don't know anything about motherboards, so i wanna get some recommendations before i drop the cash for a new computer. Also (non audio related), nvidia or ATI? i've been an nvidia user for a while, but i've been tempted to try a radeon. I recall hearing nvidia holds the patent/rights to anti-ailiasing on their graphics cards.

Well, basically ATi is outperformed by all of nVidia's equivalent cards at the moment. We'll see with ATi's answer to nVidias 9x00 series, the 4000 series.

Also, I'd stick to Asus or Evga for the motherboard. And make sure you check for 45nm compatible motherboards if you have a 45nm processor... otherwise your C2D should work on any socket 775 motherboard.

well....so far, newegg has dropped the Q6600 down only $20:Smug:, may take a few days to trinkle down more.

I'm so ichy to get a new system...its killin me to wait on these price changes:heh: I kinda wanna wait long enough to see if AMD changes their prices too.

You might wanna check this article fresh of the press dude

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=12648&page=1

Yeah, I know the Phenoms are a little slower than the Q6600. But if the Q6600 drops to $200, and the Phenom 9850 drops to $150 or so....I might just get on the AMD band wagon.....because the performance is close, mobos are alot cheaper, and they have a better future upgrade platform.

You could add more RAM to that setup. With the 64bit OS you can get fuckin 8 gigs! 32 bit=4 gigs. I dig the ASUS mobos. I have the P5N.

yeah I know..... I might do that, being its really not alot more money to do so.

I am debating jumping to Vista 64.....but I wish I knew the difference between Ultimate, Business, and home 64 versions??o_O

Here's one that I use. It's SLI ready for dual vid cards, and has a 1333 FBS. It is fit for the quad core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131142