New Maiden DVD details

No way. DOD kicks BNW's anus. I was dissappointed with bnw when it came out and still dont think its anywhere near the greatness of DOD. Apart from the likes of fallen angel. What a song. Adrian rules.

I think DoD actually recycles a fair bit from VXI, TXF and BNW (I mean, hell, some of the riffs and chord changes are lifted straight out of them) but they're done *better* than they were originally. I can understand why people say it's just more the same, because it is, but it's like practice made perfect. (or at least better).

If DoD (without the seriously dodgy art) and BNW were released the other way around, I reckon DoD would be considered a fully fledged Maiden classic, and BNW would be held in nowhere near the same esteem.

I started listening to BNW today, and got through the first three tracks, then felt rather ill at the idea of listening to Blood Brothers (can't stand that song) and ended up skipping to Thin Line. LOVE that song.

Then I listened to DoD and got all the way through to Paschendale before I had to stop for lunch. Then I forgot to resume.

So I'm liking DoD more and more, although I really wish they hadn't let Nicko write a song. I'm guessing his contribution was the lyrics (or some of them) to New Frontier, because it's frankly quite embarrassing.

I enjoy half of BNW, but nowhere near that amount of DoD. I think DoD could have been a much better album if they pulled in Steve's reigns a bit (he ruins Paschendale, what could have been one of their triumphs, with his bass lines behind Bruce's vocals in the quiet bits). Oh I don't know, so much to pick at - and I really wanted to like it, too. I must say, though, I enjoyed the songs a lot more live.

I thought DoD was ordinary. Seemed like they did recycle quite a bit, and bruce sounded so disinterested. That and a bit too much Maiden repetition within the songs!

phlogiston said:
If DoD (without the seriously dodgy art) and BNW were released the other way around, I reckon DoD would be considered a fully fledged Maiden classic, and BNW would be held in nowhere near the same esteem.
I totally agree. You're a smart man Mr Phlogg.

BNW probably has more highs than DoD, but it definately has more lows as well. DoD is a classy consistent album. BNW is like the 80s albums in that it has moments of brilliance mixed with mediocrity.

I love Paschendale, and think it is one of the best things they have ever done. Brilliant. Dance Of Death is a great epic as well, no matter what anyone says IMO.

I like it. I think it's funny. Not many bands would do something like that.

(Someone will answer "Not many bands would do something like that because it's SHIT", you just wait...)