New Metalcore Mix

JGolden

Aug 29, 2009
Clermont, FL
Hey guys, this is a mix for a band called Empires that I'm pretty close to wrapping up and I just wanted to get some objective opinions on it. Here's some info on the production...

Drums:
- Programmed shells with live cymbals played over them. MIDI shells were routed through Trigger.

Guitars:
- Schecter C-1
- Peavey 6505 head w/TS7 boost
- Dual Tracked except for the occasional leads

Bass
- Tracked DI
- Split highs and lows. Ran lows through Sans-Amp PSA-1 and highs through POD Farm 2 bass driver.

Vocals
- Nothing particularly special going on here. Just EQ, a lot of RVox, and some CLA-2A for character.

Thanks for listening!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1868665/Conquerers_Test4.wav

Very cool and professional sounding. Wish the snare had more bite/less compression and the clean vox weren't so obviously tuned.

very good. my only criticism (and pet hate) is the clean vocals, especially with (as far as i can tell) autotune. sounds robotic when it changes note, but i may be wrong...if im right though, DONT resort to autotune, just make the singer do it again lol

very good. my only criticism (and pet hate) is the clean vocals, especially with (as far as i can tell) autotune. sounds robotic when it changes note, but i may be wrong...if im right though, DONT resort to autotune, just make the singer do it again lol
you can fix wrong notes without getting that robotic sound. it's pretty easy. when people use autotune, it's generally for that robotic sound. not to fix the notes specifically.

I can't get it to play so I can't comment.

sounds very nice! I just think that the non clean vocals could be more in front!

What kinda Samples did you use for Drums?? sounds kinda slate - ish to me?

well i´m sick of hearing them! nothing against your production it´s real sweet!

but i gets so boring hearing that the bands really never have an unique snare or kick sound and if they do - it´s because slate recorded them and processed them in a unique way!

take care n keep up the awsome mixing

What kinda Samples did you use for Drums?? sounds kinda slate - ish to me?

well i´m sick of hearing them! nothing against your production it´s real sweet!

but i gets so boring hearing that the bands really never have an unique snare or kick sound and if they do - it´s because slate recorded them and processed them in a unique way!

take care n keep up the awsome mixing

Thanks for having a listen! They are indeed Slate samples. My kick is a blend of 15 and 5, and the snare is a blend of Slates Snare and 22 with some post processing of course. I definitely understand your stance on the Slate sound, I just haven't gotten around to making the investment in other libraries. It sucks that they've gotten a stigma attached to them because I quite enjoy his samples regardless of who has used them, but I suppose I'll just have to start making better samples off my clients' kits. Thanks for the support on the mix as a whole though!

this is quiet good sir. What prgoram u using? how was it routing midi into trigger?

In Pro Tools I just created a MIDI track for each piece of the kit, along with a corresponding audio track to insert Trigger on. The MIDI tracks' outputs are then routed to the correct instance of Trigger. It's kind of an awkward process, but I prefer the sample blending process in Trigger over SSD.