New mix working with my first client. Is this mix worth $150?

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8017980/Clientele/GiftsInMyPocket.mp3

This is a song that is about a month or so in the works, What i would consider as my first legitimate mix working with a client (a solo artist). Well, my first client, that is. The song title was just made from one of those band name generators provided by the client, so excuse that. Anywho, I have just sent this to the client (a solo artist) and I would like to know if you think this is worth the $150 I have charged. I have yet to be paid, as we have yet to agree on this being the final mix. Although, it may be more professional of me to receive monetary compensation BEFORE sending him the mix, but that's just how we worked on this project. I send him each draft i come up with and he listens to hear if anything sounds out of place or wants to change musically, as he sort of writes (fine-tunes, rather) as it is recorded, since he is a good guy who lives about a 3 minute drive from me.

My standard rates are currently 50 dollars for tracking/mixing/mastering, each, per song. Equating to $150 per song, if the artist requests all 3 services. Being one who is new to working with clients, I find that is a pretty reasonable idea for rates considering the end result. I would just like to know, as i will reiterate, would you agree? Or do you think i should raise/lower my rates? After i put together a portfolio of my work, making it on a public internet page (soundcloud/facebook for example), I plan to be working with contracts dealing with paying X amount of money upfront, and agreeing that the artist or band will receive their final product (and really, the only "drafts" that will be sent to them) upon compensating the remaining amount of what has been charged. As well as shifting my tracking rates to $10 per hour, as opposed to $50 per song. In the end, that just means the better and quicker you track your parts, the cheaper it is for you because it is less work on my part for the mixing as well. Or if you suck at tracking, you will be paying more, as it will be more work on the editing and mixing and yada yada yada i'm you most of you know about all that.

Anyways, some feedback would be lovely! At this point, i see it as the final mix, unless the client points out something to be changed, but that's where you come in! Do you think this is a decent final draft?!

It's a good mix. I'm personally not a fan of the panning on the chuggy rhythm but it is a solid mix. I think it is worth $150 good job man.

Looks and sounds pretty reasonable to me. As you're mixes get better so can your payments and rates. I'd be a happy customer with this mix, considering what I payed.

Idk if you have listened to this on a sub yet but it hits way too hard. maybe throw a pass filter to cut off the real low end?