Post-Hardcore(ish) Mix, First 'Client' Mix, Opinions Needed

Oct 14, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Hey everyone. I just finished (at least the majority of) recording this band yesterday, though I only got like 5 hours with them, which did include a rough mix and master for them to bring home. I have a few re-records on my mind for some parts. Luckily, they were pretty good at the recordings we did get done, and even though they were 14-18, they had a good amount of substance to their stuff unlike a lot of other bands I know in the same age group. The singer wasnt half bad, so I barely used Pitch correction, but need help deciding on more or less of the Pitch correction. Luckily, its not that techno metal crabcore stuff so there wasnt much need for auto tune or Synth/MIDI stuff. This is the RAW (quiet lol) UNMASTERED MIX. Please give me some feedback in terms of the mix itself, and anything that might help me in the mastering stage. Thanks so much! :headbang:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2922244/TGBE SONG1 MIX.wav

PS: I Know Already To Fade Out That Ending lol

I'm thinking add verb on the vocals. Or more if you already have.

The kick sounds a bit muddy also. I think the guitars need more presence in the mix.
Other than that, it sounds pretty solid. The vocals remind me a bit of Envy on the Coast and I like it.

MaellaJohn said:
I'm thinking add verb on the vocals. Or more if you already have.

The kick sounds a bit muddy also. I think the guitars need more presence in the mix.
Other than that, it sounds pretty solid. The vocals remind me a bit of Envy on the Coast and I like it.

Alright the singer didnt want much reverb at all but ima add a little more so it doesnt sound so raw. And is the kick really that muddy or is it just buried in the mix?cuz here i thought Steven Slates 'Kick 10' was the ultimate kick hahahah.

Oh and.... How do i bring up the guitars presence (so there less distant) without having to boost the volume or obnoxious frequencies? Im lost. I turned up the presence and Treble a lot in AT Metal. Maybe its Recabinet or my EQ Thats ruining it?

I don't think you can really get a superb drum sample without a lot of compression on your part.

Unfortunately, I'm a n00b and I can't really suggest how to fix it because I've only been producing stuff for the past two months or so. :(

But, here.. listen to the sound of this song and compare it with yours.

I think a Lower Definition-esque mix would do well for their sound. Try messing around with some compression on the guitars and vocals. Adjust the levels so that the vocals sit lightly above the mix, not clear over everything.

I'm not familiar with most of the terminology but perhaps you could take out the lowest frequencies of the kick and boost the low/high mids to try and give it a more punchy "boom."
I personally like a decent amount of click in my kicks but that's because I do mostly metal stuff, and I'm not sure how it'd sound in post hardcore.

And I think I've seen a quote on here somewhere about when bands want a certain thing.. hold on and let me see if I can find it.

Dude, every single band are idiots. Period. Tell them as Joe Barresi said: "Learn to love it", they don't know what the fuck they're talking about, they have NO idea what kind of work you and us do and what it takes to mix sounds basically

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice quote thats hilarious haha. I think i figured it out. I changed the reverb space to a Plate as opposed to a thin hall. Thickened it. Figured out that the kick was on a low end boost the way i had it. Defaulted it. Changed the cabs and micing to Mesa 4x12 with 421 mics. The sounds kicking me in the face. Im lovin it :D. And btw the kick sample i mentioned is pre processed so its pretty easy to throw in. Steven Slate Drums sound great IMO but not all his drums are created equal I think haha.

In my opinion the vocals were a bit to loud, they stood out to much, I also thought the toms were a bit to loud, but that's all just my opinion. Kick sounds a bit dull, perhaps you should try mixing it with an a bit clickier kick. The guitar tone sounds a bit muffled, try EQing in some crispyness.

That's all just my opinion though, and I'm still getting into the whole mixing thing so don't give too much weight to my opinion, just trying to give you pointers in hopes of making it better.

Ya i dont like the fact of how the singer was a little too dynamic it makes it harder too mix. He insisted on using the Stedman Popper Stop, and taking the foam off the mic (SM7B). But the screamer used the foam, backed away, and i turned down the pre cuz he is probly the loudest screamer ill ever hear :O. It was insane!

Well then i strongly suggest you turn it up because this song seems to be lacking so serious low end