New Opeth Interview

That's just cause you believe that an Opeth fan can't possibly like nu-metal, much less get into a band that's touring with Opeth but you don't like. Which is a false belief in the first place, cause DevilDriver isn't nu-metal from what I've read, but I guess I'd have to have heard some to be sure.

Different labels. They were on Candlelight for the first 3 albums and Peaceville for Still Life (which Peaceville keeps cashing in on with digipacks, slip-cases and hell who knows what, just like Candlelight with it's tin-shit for the first 3).

That's a pretty cool interview. Nice, said a couple of cool things. The interview with Mike on Aural Moon was still the best. Because it was audio, and those listening got to hear a little bit about the upcoming album. A LITTLE bit.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Different labels. They were on Candlelight for the first 3 albums and Peaceville for Still Life (which Peaceville keeps cashing in on with digipacks, slip-cases and hell who knows what, just like Candlelight with it's tin-shit for the first 3).

Yes I know they were on different labels....but what kind of contractual agreement did they enter to where they lost the rights after they left the labels?

Well most of the time when a band signs a contract with a label it agrees to give the rights to the songs they record for that label to the label, or at least that's the case in the metal world. So they never lost the rights to the songs, they just never had them themselves, the label that they were on at the moment of the releases did and does. This is one of the reasons why Jon Schaffer doesn't do a DVD yet, Century Media still has the rights to their songs I think. Dunno if he's ever going to get them. Would take some serious cash.
But I think that it wouldn't have killed Opeth/Music For Nations to pay this and that percent to Peaceville and Candlelight. It's just that Opeth couldn't be bothered to fight a bit for getting the old songs (Mike has said quite a lot of times that it was easier to just play the new stuff) and Music For Nations of course only wants the stuff to be played that Opeth has recorded for them, and therefore doesn't willingly pay the old labels. Music business sucks.

Goooooodnight.

I'm pretty sure that the they get royalties on all those "special" re-issues that their old labels keep releasing.

It was just too big of a hassle to get permission to perform the old songs on the DVD....

it would've been a battle between the labels as to how the money made from the product would be divided.

WIth the way they did it...its only between them and music for nations. That math's alot easier...and in the end, they are probably getting a better share of the profits than they ever would had they played songs off the older albums...and had to share royalites with candle-light and Century Media.