new pc please help

emgfreak

New Metal Member
Mar 17, 2015
casablanca
hi guys been on the forum since 2008 but first post just asking is the laptop spec below are enough to handle every vst and multiple tracks i finally decided to start a solo project with a mix of trash melodeth and synth
here are the specs (its an ASUS ROG) i also added a 128 gb ssd not listed on the specs
Système d'exploitation
-FreeDOS
CPU -Intel Core i5-6300HQ Quad-Core (6M Cache, 2.3GHz Turbo 3.2GHz)
Mémoire RAM
- RAM 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz
Stockage - HDD 1TB SATA
Ecran - 15.6" LED Retroiluminated LED Full HD 1920x1080
Carte graphique
-NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960M 2GB DDR5
Connectivitée Wifi 802.11 ac
10/100/1000 Mbps
Bluetooth 4.0
Unité Optique DVD 8X Supermulti
Ports E/S
2 x Port(s) USB 3.0
1 x Port(s) USB 2.0
1 x Connecteur RJ45 LAN
Adaptateur de courrant AC
1 x HDMI
1 x jack entrée microphone /sortie casque

Autres
Lecteur de Cartes SD(SDHC/SDXC)/MMC/MS/MS PRO/MS PRO DUO

-Microphone Integré

-Webcam HD
- Batterie 4cells
- Dimensions: 383 x 255 x 28 ~31.5 mm
- Poids: 2.6 KG
- Couleur : Noir

-Clavier QWERTY
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU HELP

You need a better CPU - quad core i7 instead of i5. Most problems due to CPU or incompatible USB controller.

On what grounds? Which problems specifically?

I've been running an i5 for 4 years. I do all of my recording on it (tons of tracks with effects), all of my gaming, all of my work stuff (spinning up multiple virtual linux machines) etc. I'm not saying an i7 isn't better, but I don't see why an i5 won't suffice.

@emgfreak I would say do your research man. Personally I would stay away from building a laptop, but that's just my personal preference. You will have less options, less room to upgrade/expand and you need to worry about the battery dying and also cooling it.

Why do you want to run freeDOS? I've never used it myself, but just seems like a weird choice to me. I appreciate the opensource spirit (i'm an open source committer on other platforms), but I've never seen someone use it.

I can't even find a place to buy that graphics card, so I have no idea about specs. But if you're running freeDOS, it looks like it barely needs any GPU power since it's so minimalist.

Edit: No offense, but the way you type reaaally makes it hard to want to help you. If English is not your first language, I apologize. I just wanted to put that out there in case it is.

You don't get the message. I'm not saying i5 is a problem or not enough today. I'm saying i7 is a better investment into now future.
That is what I believe after 25+ years of experience with computers and peripherals.

I agree, sorry for the misinterpretation

You 2 are the best thank you but the asshole wanted to charge 500 more for the info I sticker with it thank anyway for your time

Go for i7 6700k and 16gb of ram.
Also add a mediocre dedicated graphics card (do not use the onboard one).

Consider a good motherboard too and you'll be fine, that's the most important stuff you should
consider for a music production pc :)

If you want to have a gaming experience go for a 970 graphics card but it's expensive.
You can easily save ~$400 if you get a worse graphics card that will do the music production job perfectly.

I finally went with this plus a 128 go ssd

-Windows 10 64Bit
CPU -Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core (6M Cache, 2.6GHz Turbo 3.5GHz)
Mémoire RAM
- RAM 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz
Stockage - HDD 1TB SATA
Ecran - 15.6" LED Retroiluminated LED Full HD 1920x1080
Carte graphique
-NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960M 2GB DDR5
Connectivitée Wifi 802.11 ac
10/100/1000 Mbps
Bluetooth 4.0
Unité Optique DVD 8X Supermulti
Ports E/S
2 x Port(s) USB 3.0