New Persephone's Dream

Justin G

Jul 28, 2007
Northern VA
www.facebook.com
Does anyone know if the new Persephone's Dream CD is worth bothering with? I enjoy their live performances, but haven't dug their discs that much. The new one though, features DC Cooper, and I am a rabid DC fan (dude is on every album this year).

Anyway, am I going to be disappointed with the tracks DC's not on?

Hi Justin,

I'd say it's worth bothering with, but seeing as I'm one of the two female voices on the cd I'm a bit biased. ;) Here's a snip from Laser's Edge regarding the cd:

"The music draws from a variety of sources - symphonic rock, art rock, and even hard edge prog like Rush. It's all whipped together with a futuristic bent. It's a far stretch from their earlier work and frankly much more compelling and cohesive. Recommended."

To help you form your own opinion, try visiting here to listen to clips of all tracks (excluding bonus tracks). Below are links to some streaming full tracks:
"Threnody" can be found on my MySpace page.
"Android Dreams" and "Aphrodite" (with the lovely Heidi Engel, the other female voice) are on our GarageBand page.

Hope this helps :)

Other than Colleen, who's the other female voice on the current CD? Persephone's website shows three current female members of the band. One of them (Heidi) lives next door to my father's old house near Pittsburgh, PA. I'm curious if she's the other voice?

I too am a little biased about this CD, but is it worth it???? Yes it is just for the fact that Colleen and DC are on it.

Other than Colleen, who's the other female voice on the current CD? Persephone's website shows three current female members of the band. One of them (Heidi) lives next door to my father's old house near Pittsburgh, PA. I'm curious if she's the other voice?

That would be her! How cool that she's so close to a landmark in your life. :)

Yep.

Pyre of Dreams is a fine album that just took WAY too long to reach the street.

/me is a bit too biased about Colleen to talk about the differences in the vocals.

Hehe, too true Ben! Truly an album with a gestation period of pachyderm proportions (say that 5 times fast, lol). Best way to explain the vocal differences would probably be:
DC is, well, DC! He sounds fantastic on his guest tracks/backing vocals and was an amazing vocal producer/coach. His touch is evident throughout, especially in the harmony structures.
My sound on this is more like Lana Lane's tone meets Ray Alder's phrasing. Definitely more mid-range and vocal layering on this than on previous PD releases.
Heidi has a tone/style more closely matched to Karin Nicely(prior lead vocalist ).

I too am a little biased about this CD, but is it worth it???? Yes it is just for the fact that Colleen and DC are on it.
J-Man, have I told you lately that I ♥ you? Thanks for brightening my morning! :)

Hehe, too true Ben! Truly an album with a gestation period of pachyderm proportions (say that 5 times fast, lol). Best way to explain the vocal differences would probably be:
DC is, well, DC! He sounds fantastic on his guest tracks/backing vocals and was an amazing vocal producer/coach. His touch is evident throughout, especially in the harmony structures.
My sound on this is more like Lana Lane's tone meets Ray Alder's phrasing. Definitely more mid-range and vocal layering on this than on previous PD releases.
Heidi has a tone/style more closely matched to Karin Nicely(prior lead vocalist ).

J-Man, have I told you lately that I ♥ you? Thanks for brightening my morning! :)

I Love you too, and miss you so much, see ya soon!!!!

I don't get the love too? :cry:

I do think it is a fair question, since I own three of their albums (I actually found a copy of "Evening Mirage" in a used CD store in Pittsburgh) and I pretty much find them all lackluster. There just seems to be a lack of energy.

But, from what Ken has said, maybe this one will be different. I'll have to listen to some tracks before deciding if I want it.

Jason

Looks like I'll have to buy the CD! :)

Any recommendations where to get it?

Its so strange to have a good band to have it origins where I used to live (wish I still lived there!)

Awesome, thanks. :) We just signed with Progrock records, so the cd is available online there and will be available in brick and mortar locations in September. Ken's also got it at Laser's Edge.

Part of me wishes I lived there, too! It's not always easy being on opposite ends of the country. :)

I don't get the love too? :cry:

Of course you do, silly! /me smacks your 4head

I do think it is a fair question, since I own three of their albums (I actually found a copy of "Evening Mirage" in a used CD store in Pittsburgh) and I pretty much find them all lackluster. There just seems to be a lack of energy.
Jason

Absolutely it's a fair question! I will say this, though... If I had a dollar for every time DC said, "Gimme more POWER" while we were tracking, I could probably retire. hehe:)

I'll give it a try then. Thanks everyone.

Thank you, Justin!

FINALLY!!!! Congrats Colleen, I wish you sang the entire cd, ALL ALONE (DC does not make this cd at all), Col Rocks ass, I love it, "Threnody" (the ode to Ray, :) .............I owe you and Todd some tunes, I did'nt forget.......................Tom Argo :OMG: