New pre-prod mix, need some extra ears on this one!

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Darkadian - No More Room In Hell.mp3

Levels ok? Sometimes I really love the mix, other times I'll come back to it and it will be shit. I don't know if that's ear fatigue or if I'm just being indecisive.

Should the drums go down a tad? I think they're ok, then other times they seem a touch on the loud side. Esp. toms and snare.

The snare has been rather difficult to mix because we're trying to go for the really saggy, quite unprocessed/natural sound but still fit it in a mix. That's been the hardest part. I want it to sound unprocessed, but not completely void of character. It's still coming off a bit dry.

Anyway, thoughts/tips would be a great help at this point as I'm rather stuck!

Cheers :kickass:
Matt

P.S. Track may not be uploaded yet, having a slow connection-day today :( Give it a few mins

That's some nice songwriting!:headbang:

Levels sound fine to me and I'm liking the snare sound, although at some points it gets a bit buried, but not that much.

The cymbals sound a bit too wide at times, maybe narrow down the stereo image? And I'd like to hear more body on the kick and less click, but overall is a really good mix imho.

What are you using for drums, btw?

Cool thanks man.

Yeah the kick was really nice and punchy at one point, then I fucked with it and it's lost a lot of body, but I can't remember what I did :( When it's solo'd it's still punchy as fuck but under the mix only the click shines through.

Drums are Toontrack Metal Foundry but with the kick replaced with my own gog sample I made.

OH issue is something I've never really thought about but now you mention it I guess it's a little over-panned. I'll work on that, thanks dude!