New project with Arjen Lucassen and Anneke van Giersbergen

I saw this in Arjen's e-mail newsletter this morning. Assuming this album has a different name than his other projects, this would be his seventh band/project. I'm expecting a late 2015 release, hopefully. And I know Arjen will deliver a good one.

ARJEN LUCASSEN AND ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN OFFICIALLY LAUNCH THE GENTLE STORM

Ayreon mastermind Arjen Lucassen recently announced his next album as a collaboration with vocalist Anneke van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering), saying it will be "an epic concept double album, a combination of 'classical meets metal' and 'acoustic folk'." Giersbergen has posted a new update:

"Hi everybody! I'm delighted to announce that my collaboration with Arjen Anthony Lucassen will be called The Gentle Storm. The album is slated for an early 2015 release.

Many of you may already know that Arjen stopped touring some years ago, but together we have formed a killer band to go on the road with me most of 2015 in support of the new album.

Check out our Facebook page, a new band is born."

p190t1njju99b13cvnjj19v9vr84.png

THE GENTLE STORM - MORE DETAILS OF DEBUT ALBUM FEATURING ARJEN LUCASSEN AND ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN REVEALED

"The official press release courtesy of BraveWords scribe Carl Begai is as follows:

The Gentle Storm double album is an epic production of Ayreon proportions, divided into two parts as a full-on metal assault (CD1) and lighter folk arrangements (CD2). It also heralds Anneke's return to the realms of heavy guitars and soaring vocals reminiscent of The Gathering's breakthrough album, Mandylion.

The album release will be followed by live dates through the spring and summer European festival season. Known for touring extensively year after year, Anneke will take The Gentle Storm on the road backed by well known Dutch talents. Arjen, however, will not be part of the live production."

THE GENTLE STORM FEATURING ARJEN LUCASSEN, ANNEKE VAN GIERSBERGEN - THE DIARY ALBUM ARTWORK REVEALED

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One, Guilt Machine) and Anneke van Giersbergen (The Gathering, Devin Townsend Project) have joined forces for new band, The Gentle Storm, and have now revealed the cover artwork for their debut album, The Diary, which is due out early next year.

Arjen had this to say: "I loved the front cover of the last Stream Of Passion album, so I tracked down the cover artist, Alexandra V. Bach. I sent her some samples of the The Gentle Storm music, and explained the album concept. She made a moodboard that captured the feel of the story and the music. We then gave her the go-ahead to design the cover. She did an amazing job that exceeded our expectations: Alexandra's cover art represents The Gentle Storm perfectly!"

p195tmg94h126glml2tm1l3v147i4.jpg

Anneke has one of the purest, most beautiful voices in the music scene today.

I am looking forward to hearing this album. I know I have a very bad record with Arjen projects. Can't get into most of his stuff, though I still think the first Stream of Passion album (while he was in the band) is his finest. Yeah yeah, Ayreon fans, bite me. Someday I may get into Ayreon. Don't know how it doesn't happen, since on paper that's 10000% up my alley...

You're nuts. The Human Equation is the best musical album ever written.

I don't know as though I'd got that far, but it is definitely great. My personal taste prefer's Universal Migrator, but The Human Equation is awesome in all dimensions. LaBrie is in top form on it, as well as the other vocalists (Devy in particular I enjoy the hell out of when he shows up), plus it has a freakin didgeridoo!

Anneke has one of the purest, most beautiful voices in the music scene today.

I am looking forward to hearing this album. I know I have a very bad record with Arjen projects. Can't get into most of his stuff, though I still think the first Stream of Passion album (while he was in the band) is his finest. Yeah yeah, Ayreon fans, bite me. Someday I may get into Ayreon. Don't know how it doesn't happen, since on paper that's 10000% up my alley...

I agree on Arjen projects. They just bore me. Also the same here about on paper looking great, then when I hear it, it's snore time.

And without hearing it, it'll be a bit shocking to hear Anneke sing against heavy guitars because it's been forever since it's been done. Maybe this'll be like the sequel that should've come after 'Mandylion', though I doubt if Frank Boejen's fantastic ambient-sounding keyboards will be topped.

I think Anneke is becoming a female version of Michael Kiske. Someone who really doesn't perform Metal anymore, but always seems to be working on a project with a Metal band.

You're nuts. The Human Equation is the best musical album ever written.
I tried. It has its moments of brilliance, but I find most of what happens in between too drawn out and dull.

I think Anneke is becoming a female version of Michael Kiske. Someone who really doesn't perform Metal anymore, but always seems to be working on a project with a Metal band.
Haha, too true.

Uhhh, yeah I know. I have it. I meant as in 'what really should have come next'. I like NB, but they (mostly) shafted the Mandylion style and went lighter. Not bad, but lighter.
I would argue that the step from Mandylion to Nighttime Birds was the smallest of any of the changes they underwent between albums.

Uhhh, yeah I know. I have it. I meant as in 'what really should have come next'. I like NB, but they (mostly) shafted the Mandylion style and went lighter. Not bad, but lighter.

Nighttime Birds sounds a lot like Mandylion dude, it was the logical next step for the Gathering. Hearing the first song off this new project it sounds like a typical Arjen song with Anneke just singing over it.

I would argue that the step from Mandylion to Nighttime Birds was the smallest of any of the changes they underwent between albums.

Seeing as each album always drastically changed from one to another, that's totally true! Even though when they were on they were amazing, their career has definitely suffered from an identity crisis.