New releases for 2005

Pinkeisch

Nov 22, 2004
Here's a partial listing of new CDs to expect for the coming year:

Kaipa
Ritual (live)
Kino
Hammer of the gods (Portnoy/Gildenlow Zep project)
Redemption (with Ray Alder)
Theocracy
Adagio
Pagan's Mind
Opeth
Mars Volta
Andromeda
Taal
Dynamic Lights
Arena
Shadow Gallery
Symphony X
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theater
Queensryche
Russel Allen
Under The Sun
Freak Kitchen
Kate Bush

also the 3CD Musea release of the Odyssey with various artists including Glass Hammer... Nine 20 minute epics!

What Else?

Here's Some I have been wating for..

Masterplan
Spock's beard
Asia
pallas
Circle II Circle
Shaman
firewind
Alex masi
Mattsson
Warmen
Beyond Twilight
Brazen Abbot
HELLOWEEN
Kamelot
Magellan
Yngwie
Rob Rock
Rivera/Bomma
Secert sphere
Vanishing Point

Maybe I should start a thread of "Disappointments for 2005", the first entry being Emotive, the new album from A Perfect Circle.

Just bought it off iTunes Music Store. NOT GOOD! The Reverend Maynard needs a large crucifix shoved up his [expletive deleted] for this one.

We need a new Tool album of the quality of Lateralus.

novAct - Tales From The Soul
Release: February 22, 2005

"Although together for only a brief time, Dutch progressive metal newcomers NovAct have begun to make a name for themselves in the metal world. On the basis of a strong four song demo the band was invited to perform at both the Headway Festival and ProgPower Europe in 2004. With their debut set for release on Sensory, NovAct is poised to continue their rise to prominence.

NovAct have found the perfect blend of melody and complexity echoing bands such as Dream Theater, Rush, Pain Of Salvation and Vanden Plas. Vocals are an important part of their sound and in that respect the band has one of metal's great new voices – Eddy Borremans. Quite simply Eddy doesn't sound like any one else! He has an uncanny ability to convey his emotions in every song in a way that brings warmth to a genre often categorizes as cold and emotionless. "Tales from the Soul" is thinking man's metal that aims for the heart as well as the head."

Proto-Kaw
Flagship

From Proto-Kaw's Web Site:
PK will soon begin work on their 2nd cd for Inside Out Music. The material will be all newly written, with one exception, and continue along the lines of their critically acclaimed first cd, "Before Became After", utilizing their unique blend of melodic rock and jazz fusion. The new cd is scheduled for a Summer 2005 release.

From Kerry Livgren's Web Site:
FLAGSHIP is a new symphonic rock band featuring members from Narnia & Brighteye Brison. One of the songs on their debut album, Maiden Voyage, is a cover of Kerry Livgren's "Ground Zero." Kerry will be playing the guitar solo on this track. The release of Maiden Voyage is planned for early 2005.

I think threads such as this one are really important. The way we all learn about NEW progressive music is to chat/tag/e-mail each other and scour the internet.

In the next week or so, I will start a new thread with a variation on this threads' theme. The new thread will be titled "(Actual) Progressive Rock/Metal Releases of 2005".

The goal of the thread is to do nothing more than list CD's and websites for the bands who create the CD's so that anyone reading the thread can go "hunt" for new things they might like.

The thread is not envisioned as one where opinions are given, upcoming prospective releases announced, releases we wished were forthcoming listed, my grandma said this band will release a CD sometime in 2005, etc. The only thing listed are ACTUAL - street date has already hit -it IS out there already somewhere if you can find it CD's.
Let's keep all that other great stuff for THIS thread.

The regular taggers know that I am more on the metal and hard rock side of prog, with a little interest in power prog and gothic prog. Therefore, I'll want (and need) those of you with more diverse (and especially a little lighter) tastes than mine to add to the list. I'm hoping to jumpstart the thread and kindly hope that it will be kept opinion-free, but information heavy so that we can help each other find new CD's to investigate.

So, once the new thread goes live.. do this:

1) Check it for errors if you wish and correct them. Many thanks in advance.

2) Add any progressive CD's that have BEEN ACTUALLY STREET RELEASED in 2005 that are not on the list (no I have a promo - it'll be out later stuff - list the CD at the point where ANYONE reading the thead could theoretically buy it)

3) Try and provide a website. Every CD I have in the list so far has a link to a bandsite to go along with it - Dissemination of information is the idea here!

4) Cordially, leave comments for the quality or lack thereof of my list to the tag board - don't clutter the thread with "this list rawks" or "you suk, Prof" comments. However, feel free to verbally assault me on the tag board at will :)

5) Listen to Progged Radio! Support Chan! Support LickyD! Support SteveM and go investigate some new tunes!!

Finally, I want to apologize for being away from Progged for so long. During the spring months I became a bit disenchanted with the station for various reasons. I'm over it - and I realize that Chan needs our support and thanks more than ever. He's been a great, great ambassador of prog - cheers all around for Chan.

I want to launch the thread as a small way of saying thanks to him, to other listeners, and especially to the taggers - who have introduced me to many new bands and CD's - as well as helped me enjoy some old ones. The taggers have regularly helped me enjoy a few lighter moments and good tunes while I listen and (try to) work. And more than once they have welcomed me back to the board after long absences caused by the enigma that is "the group amicably separated over musical differences" :D

I'll do my best to have the thread started next week. Prog on!