NEW REVIEW UPLOAD PART 1 - Pain of Salvation, Genesis, Gorerotted, more...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Uploading in 2 parts this time.

Part 1 Upload Complete:

PAIN OF SALVATION - 12:5
GENESIS - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway [IE users hit F11 for better viewing of this monster review]
DISTORED MIND - A Demo of Winter's Darkness
APOSTASY - Cell 666
EROS NECROPSIQUE - Crise de Lucidite
GOREROTTED - Only Tools and Corpses
THE DUSKFALL - Source

Check A-Z index for links.

Part 2 will come later today or tomorrow, along with the new review index.

Black Winter Day said:
btw, t.s. eliot rules. "the love song of j. alfred prufock" is my favorite poem of all time... i seriously get goosebumps every time i read it.
Have you attempted The Wastelands yet? Not the Stephen King stuff either.

T.S. Elliot is the father of modern poetry, and he is a fricken genius. His poems are like listening to Swans. It takes weeks, months, maybe years to really get into them properly.

Everybody should at least look at The Wastelands, by T.S. Elliot. Most of you will say, "What the fuck is that supposed to be?" But keep in mind that the poem revolutionized poetry as we know it. We're talking the Black Sabbath of poems here.

The Love Song . . . is also an amazing poem. Slightly more comprehensible, yet totally insane still.

I've seen quite a few analyses of The Lamb online, including a line by line annotated version, and that was an excellent summary of what is arguably the quintessential prog rock concept album. Nice POS review, though the title of 12:5 does have meaning besides being the date of the performance, it also refers to a passage in the Bible (you guessed it: Genesis 12:5).

thanks. although, if you noticed, i tried to avoid the word "progressive" in my somewhat lengthy review. fuck the best "prog rock concept album", the lamb... was a precursor to METAL. it is also one of the most underrated albums ever recorded.

and i didn't know about that genesis passage from the PoS. i might actually have an excuse to pull out the bible, no? EERRIIWIRDS

No room in my fridge cos it’s full of her Bacardi Breezers, I’ve had to chop her up to fit her in the freezer.
Well I've owned that Gorerotted for 6 months now, p'raps I should give it a spin? :loco:

Black Winter Day said:
thanks. although, if you noticed, i tried to avoid the word "progressive" in my somewhat lengthy review. fuck the best "prog rock concept album", the lamb... was a precursor to METAL. it is also one of the most underrated albums ever recorded.
That is definitely a valid point, it is clear throughout the album that Peter was getting bored with a label he despised and wanted to experiment as much as possible. As he says on the closing track, if you think it's pretentious you've been taken for a ride. As for being underrated, definitely not among fans, though it does get the typical "should have been cut down to a single album" criticism common of nearly all doubles.

JayKeeley said:
Do you think? I'd always thought it was massively hailed amongst critics and fans alike...
sure, it has reached cult status amongst genesis and prog fans, but don't forget: this thing bombed when it came out. by 1974, the genreal music community was getting sick of prog rock -- they certainly didn't want to put themselves through the pain of a DOUBLE lp. however, there was a massive tour that followed the album, consisting of a well-planned stage-show with video screens, characters and peter gabriel wearing different costumes throughout, "levitating" on a wire, etc. if anyone knows where i can find a video of one of these shows, please let me know!

anyway, when people talk about the heyday of progressive rock, they tend to mention "2112", "fragile", "foxtrot", "dark side of the moon" and "in the court of the crimson king" before they would acknowledge "the lamb...".

it's sort of the "scarface" of rock. meager success when it came out, but now everyone owns the special edition.

and the 30th anniversary version of "the lamb..." comes out this year. woo-WOOO!!!

you're right demonspell... it is the ultimate pretentious record. double album, massive story, long songs, ambient pieces, stunning musicianship, no real "radio tunes" per se (although the title track and "the carpet crawlers" still get played on classic rock radio). but the best thing of all: it is totally original. after recording album after album of pure greatness, genesis (gabriel especially) challenged themselves even further. ironically, it would be a decade before the band would be pure pop.

NAD said:
Well I've owned that Gorerotted for 6 months now, p'raps I should give it a spin? :loco:
Gorerotted is much like finding loose change down the back of the sofa - It's a great find!