NEW REVIEW UPLOAD PART 2 - Morgion, Wolf, Enforsaken, more

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
OK I said the latest updates will go up in two parts....well, make that three now.

Current Update #2 to A-Z Index includes:

ENFORSAKEN - The Forever Endeavor
FROST - Raise your Fist to Metal
PRO-PAIN - Fistful of Hate
TAD MOROSE - Modus Vivendi
WOLF - Evil Star
DIONYSUS - Anima Mundi
MORGION - Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth

:Spin:

I've never heard a full Morgion album. I'm thinking of getting the new one and Solinari. What do other people think of them?

Oh . . . and JayKeeley's review basically swayed me to go for both, instead of just the new one.

All of Morgion's stuff is really good. It just takes a while to fully appreciate it. I'd go with Solinari first, or you can just start from the beginning with Among Majestic Ruin

Nate The Great said:
Oh . . . and JayKeeley's review basically swayed me to go for both, instead of just the new one.
Nate, IMO I think people would appreciate Cloaked... more if they also had Solinari. To me, the two albums are like companion pieces.

I agree with J. - if you were going to go for only one, I would first start with Solinari. Man, it just consumes your soul. I don't actually own the Majestic Ruin EP though.

Also, if I were to review Solinari, I'd give it a 9.5/10. I think it has the edge over Cloaked..., but to be fair, I've had much more time to absorb it.

Great, great band.

Papa Josh said:
Goddammit, where's my shit??? :loco:
Yeah, sorry man. I'm going through the uploads at night in my stupid hotel room. Once the uploads are done, I'll build the new review index for easier reference.

Notice the pattern of the uploads...

#1: BWD, Chief B
#2: Evil C, JayKeeley
#3: NAD, Papa Josh

...in alphabetical order! :loco:

With luck, next upload #3 is tonight!!

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, sorry man. I'm going through the uploads at night in my stupid hotel room. Once the uploads are done, I'll build the new review index for easier reference.

Notice the pattern of the uploads...

#1: BWD, Chief B
#2: Evil C, JayKeeley
#3: NAD, Papa Josh

...in alphabetical order! :loco:

With luck, next upload #3 is tonight!!

I hope Nad has some positive ones... I think most of mine were negative...

JayKeeley said:
Nate, IMO I think people would appreciate Cloaked... more if they also had Solinari. To me, the two albums are like companion pieces.

I agree with J. - if you were going to go for only one, I would first start with Solinari. Man, it just consumes your soul. I don't actually own the Majestic Ruin EP though.

Also, if I were to review Solinari, I'd give it a 9.5/10. I think it has the edge over Cloaked..., but to be fair, I've had much more time to absorb it.

Great, great band.
It sounds like I might actually like Cloaked better. Am I right in saying that Solinari is more death-doom with growled vocals, and Cloaked is more clean vocals? I actually am skeptical of all these bands playing death-doom with growled vocals. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOO overdone. I actually prefer a very serene clean vocal attack. Too many bands are still ripping of either Paradise Lost, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, or Anathema.

Papa Josh said:
I hope Nad has some positive ones... I think most of mine were negative...
Looks like 2 positive and 2 negative ones.

One of my negative ones is to an alleged "classic" too, I'd never heard it before getting the re-release promo, and it sucked ass! :lol:

Nate The Great said:
Too many bands are still ripping of either Paradise Lost, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, or Anathema.
Bah. It ain't ripping off if other bands do it better.

J. said:
Bah. It ain't ripping off if other bands do it better.
There's a difference between doing something better and doing something differently. I'll respect the band that does something differently than My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Anathema, or Paradise Lost more than I'll respect the band that simply "does it better".

The new Void of Silence is a great example of advancement in doom. Would you equate Morgion to forward-thinking doom or simply a better clone of the above mentioned bands?

Yeah, Morgion have their own sound. VoS definitely have their own sound.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that MDB, Katatonia, PL, and Anthema are hardly the end-all be-all of doom/death. Take for example, Evoken, who is a doom/death band (some argue they are funeral, but whatever). Since they are doom/death, they will always be compared to MDB and early Anathema, even if they are infinitely more interesting.

Were Katatonia ever really doom/death? Dance of Decembre Souls is more black doom than it is doom/death. I guess Brave Murder Day can be considered as such, but by then, the style had already taken off.

Besides, Morgion were releasing stuff at the same time as MDB and the others (early 90's), so they can't really be called a clone.

OK so my laptop is fucked up. I have no idea what's going on but the screen suddenly stopped working, so I've connected it to an external monitor.

Hopefully it won't delay upload #3 which includes 12 new reviews and an interview with Death Angel....I'll start working on this stuff today/tonight since I'm back at home.

gugs,

indeed they do rule. and thanks to best buy of all places, i have completed their collection. nice to see metal carried in a place easy enough to purchase.

evil c.