NEW REVIEWS: Savatage, Tourniquet, Rhapsody and more....

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Everyone,

What with the oscars last night, and trying to build some java applets, we got a little backtracked with the weekend updates, so we'll be uploading in two loads today.

The first upload is actually available now:

Tourniquet - Where Moth and Rust Destroy
Rhapsody - Power of the Dragonflame
Prototype - Trinity
Savatage - Gutter Ballet

The next upload will occur this evening (NY EST):

Dew Scented - Inwards
Stratovarius - Elements pt 1
Aesma Daeva - The Eros of Frigid Beauty
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
Hate Eternal - King of all Kings
Nightingale - Alive Again : Breathing Shadow pt IV

I'll update this thread again once the second upload is complete.

Ten new reviews since last Tuesday ain't such a bad score...thanks to some stellar team efforts.

Enjoy. :)

JK.

Do you think? Def Rhapsody and Stratovarius...some people think of Savatage as prog perhaps, and I debate IE falling into the power category.

Don't you think of Iced Earth as speed/thrash? Especially on Stormrider.

Oh well, one reason why we decided not to use genre labels...heh.

I'm just messing with you. Iced Earth is more of the classic/traditional metal variety, to me.

Savatage is probably in the same boat.

Life would be no fun, if I couldn't give you guys crap every now and then.

I was oblivious to you joking...!:D I think overall we're pretty balanced to date on the genres.

IE are traditional, yes. I hear their new one will include a 35 minute opus with a full orchestra. I have to assume it's going to be a double-CD...?

OK these puppies are up and on-line:

Dew Scented - Inwards staff pick of the week by Dark One
Stratovarius - Elements pt 1 Dark One
Aesma Daeva - The Eros of Frigid Beauty markgugs
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider markgugs
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica markgugs
Hate Eternal - King of all Kings Papa Josh
Nightingale - Alive Again : Breathing Shadow pt IV Papa Josh
Primordial - A Journey's End Erik

Make that twelve new reviews in total.

Let me hear you make some noize! Raise the roof!

smile2.gif

lizard said:
good work, guys...
helluva review of Ecliptica, Mark. I'm looking forward to what you think of Winterheart's Guild

Totally agreed lizard. I was actually thinking of reviewing "Ecliptica" myself as it is one of my favorite power metal releases of recent years, but Mark certainly did the album justice. :headbang:

considering their young age, if they 1)stay together and 2) don't run out of good ideas, they should provide great tuneage for many years to come
smile2.gif

with the general concensus being that Strat has stumbled over the past few releases, SA is poised amongst the top power metal bands of Europe, and particularly finnyland.

BTW I'm expecting Mark to give us a blow by blow reportage from Tuska...where he will rendezvous with the lovely and talented (and moderator of the finnish section of the North American SA board) Heidi. Woohoo!

EDIT: haha I just saw this statement on the Tuska site:
"Any kind of dressing-up is encouraged as long as the safety of your wear is taken into consideration. When rushing about in the front row you may harm a fellow celebrant with your nail bracelet. At the gate of the festival area the crew will check your outfit and remove everything considered dangerous, eg. bracelets made of nails. Use common sense in your dressing-up."

lizard said:
considering their young age, if they 1)stay together and 2) don't run out of good ideas, they should provide great tuneage for many years to come
smile2.gif

with the general concensus being that Strat has stumbled over the past few releases, SA is poised amongst the top power metal bands of Europe, and particularly finnyland.

I have no idea what that perspective is in Europe these days...but power metal is getting ready to implode. Only a few bands will be left standing once record labels stop signing every single power metal band under the sun. Wanna record deal? Sell a power metal demo, get signed, and then do a 180 and play what you really want to play.

BTW I'm expecting Mark to give us a blow by blow reportage from Tuska...

Yeah, he might have cleared his review/interview backlog by then. This man does not sleep people. Tuska will rule though - Amorphis live on a sunny day can only be a good thing, and so reading about it will be the next best thing.

EDIT: haha I just saw this statement on the Tuska site:
"Any kind of dressing-up is encouraged as long as the safety of your wear is taken into consideration. When rushing about in the front row you may harm a fellow celebrant with your nail bracelet. At the gate of the festival area the crew will check your outfit and remove everything considered dangerous, eg. bracelets made of nails. Use common sense in your dressing-up."

Mark may not go if he's not allowed in with his nail bracelets and bullet belt...:D