New Sabaton album announced - Heroes

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
oGitggYl.jpg

Swedish metallers SABATON are currently at work on their eighth album and follow-up to 2012's Carolus Rex at HYPOCRISY/PAIN legend Peter Tägtgren's Abyss Studios.

Entitled Heroes, the new album will be released on May 16th via Nuclear Blast. The cover artwork for Heroes was created by Péter Sallai.

This will be the first album after the big line-up change with guitarists Oskar Montelius and Rikard Sundén, drummer Daniel Mulback and keyboardist Daniel Mÿhr leaving in 2012 to go form Civil War. The new faces showcased will be bassist Pär Sundström, guitarists Chris Rörland and Thobbe Englund and drummer Hannes van Dahl.

... they have 8 albums now?! I swear, I literally hadn't heard of these guys until a few years ago and I thought they only had one or two albums.

A little side note...I think Sabaton must have started out round about the same time as PQ as I'm sure we were on the same label in the Wings of Forever days. I can see why folk like these guys for sure.......but all starts sounding the same very quickly to my ears I'm afraid

^ I agree that they start getting repetitive and TOO simple (I don't have a problem with simplicity but the writing and atmosphere can suffer sometimes), but I love these guys. They have a great atmosphere, they get me interested in all aspects of history, and their live shows are all around awesome. One of the reasons Power Quest is in my top 10 all time favorite bands is because the writing is always top notch while remaining mostly simple. Where Sabaton lack in writing they make up for in atmosphere.

All my personal opinion of course.

EDIT: PQ has amtmosphere but I was always amazed at how good the songs were written and composed in regards to structure and note arrangement.

The album leaked and since I always end up purchasing a physical release I gave in to temptation and have given it a few spins.

My 2 pennies - this is a fun album and it's enjoyable to listen to but it's....

1) a step back from Carolus in being thematically more simplistic and generic and samey

2) an album of singles, I'm sure the average track length clocks in close to 3 mins - the whole thing is over before my tube journey's over!

The only other aspect I can compliment is that it's a tiny bit different musically with the inclusion of a wider variety of keyboard tones. Everything else from vocals to guitars is just run-of-the-mill Sabaton (you'd think with new band members they'd make an effort to distinguish themselves, no?). By no means a bad thing it's still catchy as all hell but like Steve says it's a little samey.

This album feels like a light snack between more meatier meals - tasty but insubstantial. I'd like to see them return to a Carolus style concept album next time round.