New Sepultura record: The Mediator.....

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
I picked up the new Sepultura record last week and have now listened to it a bunch of times, and I gotta say, it's pretty damn awesome.

My only real complaint, and this will come as no surprise to those who've listened to it, is the production. It's just too muddy, and Derek Greene's vocals are not blended at all well into the mix.

Having said that, the material is awesome, fucking heavy and sounds really inspired. It's different, they're trying new stuff, and the mood of the record is doomy, dark, thrash. Highlights for me are The Vatican, Impending Doom, Grief, and Age of the Athiest.

Killer record, well worth checking out. Interesting to see these guys are now label "mates" with Soulfly, and their new releases have come within a month of one another too......

I totally agree. Old school thrash as fuck, including the production (muddy it is indeed). The new drummer Eloy does a killer job, and so does Derrick. It totally rips the previous Kairos CD (which I wasn't too fond of) apart.

Hard for me to consider this a Sepultura album without Max and Igor in the band. But that being said I like the music but the production is horrid to the point that it ruins what otherwise is a good album. Not sure how they could listen to it back and think the production was acceptable.

Hard for me to consider this a Sepultura album without Max and Igor in the band. But that being said I like the music but the production is horrid to the point that it ruins what otherwise is a good album. Not sure how they could listen to it back and think the production was acceptable.

Same here. I'd rather listen to Cavalera Conspiracy these days. :Shedevil:

I totally agree. Old school thrash as fuck, including the production (muddy it is indeed). The new drummer Eloy does a killer job, and so does Derrick. It totally rips the previous Kairos CD (which I wasn't too fond of) apart.

Totally agree

Eloy is a BEAST on drums and Derrick's vocals fit well with the new sound of this dark superb album. I laugh at those that keep saying the Cavaleras need to come back despite the fact that both Soulfly and Sepultura have moved in different directions musically a long time ago.

Regarding the vocal mix, I downloaded one album version where the vocals were WAY WAY in the background and thankfully I stumbled upon the entire album being temporarily streamed on MetalSucks.net for review and realized that the initial download I found was NOT the final version and the mix was much more sound and balanced. Then I downloaded the album on Amazon for further confirmation. My only gripe with Amazon is that they should NOT sell downloads that ware below 320 kbps bit rate quality, especially GREAT albums like this one.

No worries though, I simply downloaded a free 320 Kbps version elsewhere to make up for the sub par bit rate quality download I bought from Amazon. :cool:

Totally agree

Eloy is a BEAST on drums and Derrick's vocals fit well with the new sound of this dark superb album. I laugh at those that keep saying the Cavaleras need to come back despite the fact that both Soulfly and Sepultura have moved in different directions musically a long time ago.

Regarding the vocal mix, I downloaded one album version where the vocals were WAY WAY in the background and thankfully I stumbled upon the entire album being temporarily streamed on MetalSucks.net for review and realized that the initial download I found was NOT the final version and the mix was much more sound and balanced. Then I downloaded the album on Amazon for further confirmation. My only gripe with Amazon is that they should NOT sell downloads that ware below 320 kbps bit rate quality, especially GREAT albums like this one.

No worries though, I simply downloaded a free 320 Kbps version elsewhere to make up for the sub par bit rate quality download I bought from Amazon. :cool:

I had been wondering about this. I'm planning to pick up a physical copy sometime so will be looking forward to hearing the proper mix. Still really liking this record, despite this. It's great.

I had been wondering about this. I'm planning to pick up a physical copy sometime so will be looking forward to hearing the proper mix. Still really liking this record, despite this. It's great.

I was cursing out the producer and mixer in my mind before i realized this wasn't the final album version :lol:

I was wondering what people here were on about regarding the mix, too.
I've only heard the album through Spotify, and the mix sounded fine to me.
The album is good, I think.

The whole "they are not Sepultura without the Cavaleras"-argument is getting a bit old, I reckon. Sepultura have released some pretty solid albums of late and they seem to have a dedicated and competent frontman in Derrick Green. The Cavaleras are off doing their thing and two members of the Seputura of old are still flying the flag, releasing solid albums that many seem to enjoy.

The whole "they are not Sepultura without the Cavaleras"-argument is getting a bit old, I reckon. Sepultura have released some pretty solid albums of late and they seem to have a dedicated and competent frontman in Derrick Green. The Cavaleras are off doing their thing and two members of the Seputura of old are still flying the flag, releasing solid albums that many seem to enjoy.

Couldn't agree with you more. Some people just can't get past the fact that it's no longer 1994.

Finally bought the CD and you're right motopsycho - the vocals are fine. Still distorted, but no-where near as muddy as the leaked version I had. This now makes this record all the better for mine - loving it!!!!!