New Singer and Drummer for MASTERPLAN

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
Seems like today is the day for announcements so here is another one.

German melodic metal band MASTERPLAN has announced the addition of singer Mike DiMeo (RIOT, THE LIZARDS) and drummer Mike Terrana (YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, AXEL RUDI PELL, METALIUM, RAGE) to the group's ranks. :kickass: :headbang: :kickass:

Jibrille said:
*crosses fingers for the Nightwish new vocalist announcement*
Probably no announcement until January 2007. So please don't believe anything you may read in any magazine or any where else unless it is directly from the NIGHTWISH homepage. The reason is that it has been reported in some Finnish magazines and papers that the new vocalists has been found. Which is not true according to the Nightwish homepage.
But we all here on the Progpower USA forum know who we want, and who we would love to see as the new vocalist.

There was a thread on this already, but yeah, I'm not sure how happy I am with this. Dimeo I think is a worthy replacement for Jorn, but I am very worried about Terrana's songwriting vs Uli's, I'm sure he can keep up technically though. Masterplan was kind of a special band for me, I'm not sure how "right" the next album will sound to my ears.

Sorry, Mike DiMeo is no Jorn and I am afraid that this is the begining of the end for Masterplan.:cry:

Braxil said:
I'm not sure how happy I am with this. Dimeo I think is a worthy replacement for Jorn, but I am very worried about Terrana's songwriting vs Uli's, I'm sure he can keep up technically though. Masterplan was kind of a special band for me, I'm not sure how "right" the next album will sound to my ears.

This is exactly how I feel! :erk:

Of course, there is not a second Jorn in the whole world, but -regarding Riot's "Army of One"- I believe Mike Dimeo will do fine in Masterplan.

To lose Uli is a hard blow to take, because I think many elements that made the Masterplan music special to me came from him. (just listen to "Beautiful Sin"!). And his way of playing drums is unique. Terrana may be equally good, but in different way.

They will do a great CD, I'm sure.
But I doubt that this can be Masterplan anymore. :cry:

I hope this line up brings back a bit of the power the last Masterplan record was missing. Replacing Jorn is a hard task, but I'll decide after I hear recordings...

It's funny, me and my friends always used to joke about this band being called "Grapowplan" and strangely enough it's starting to turn out that way, lol.

carnut said:
I hope this line up brings back a bit of the power the last Masterplan record was missing. Replacing Jorn is a hard task, but I'll decide after I hear recordings...

From all I know, it was Jorn who wanted their music to be less aggressive and more suitable for his voice. That's why he left - because the rest of the guys wanted to do another record like the first one.

Braxil said:
It's funny, me and my friends always used to joke about this band being called "Grapowplan" and strangely enough it's starting to turn out that way, lol.

So what conclusions do we draw? Never joke about serious things ... ;)

carnut said:

I think i must be the only person in the world who thinks the debut MASTERPLAN was ok but AERONAUTICS is brilliant. :lol: If they had stayed together i would have wanted them to continue in the direction of that album.

livingwithwolves said:
I think i must be the only person in the world who thinks the debut MASTERPLAN was ok but AERONAUTICS is brilliant. :lol: If they had stayed together i would have wanted them to continue in the direction of that album.

I wouldn't say that the debut was any less brilliant than Aeronautics. Both discs were different, in a very good way. Aeronautics is pretty much the same disc as The Battle minus Russell Allen though.

edgeofthorns said:
I wouldn't say that the debut was any less brilliant than Aeronautics. Both discs were different, in a very good way. Aeronautics is pretty much the same disc as The Battle minus Russell Allen though.
I thought so too.

Both are good discs but in their own way. It almost sounded like two different bands to me, except for the vocals. Aeronautics was definitely less edgy and, I must admit, I found a couple of the songs to be rather trite. It will be interesting to see how these new additions enhance the sound and song writing. I certainly hope they'll add more power and make it heavier.

edgeofthorns said:

I honestly don't see where you're coming from. The only songs I could even imagine being on The Battle would be After this War or I'm Not Afraid or something...no way could I hear Crimson Rider, Wounds, or Black in the Burn on that disc.