New site look - slight changes

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Hey everyone,

I've played about with the site a little. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Personally, I think we look a little more consistent now across the board. And although the new look for reviews isn't in place for all albums yet, check out The Kovenant, Rhapsody, or Savatage....I've concentrated the space design (since the old ones waste a lot of empty screen space).

I've also moved the review index (A-Z) to the top of the screen. My intention is to get rid of browser scroll bars (if you're on 1024x768 and above).

There should also be an scrolling applet on the home page displaying our new reviews. I'm not sure if anyone will have problems with this (since Javascript isn't always compatible with all browsers), but do let me know either way if you can see it or not, and what you think.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts/comments. Bear in mind that the site is always evolving and I'm learning this as I go along! :)

Thanks,

JK.

JayKeeley said:
Hey everyone,

I've played about with the site a little. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Personally, I think we look a little more consistent now across the board. And although the new look for reviews isn't in place for all albums yet, check out The Kovenant, Rhapsody, or Savatage....I've concentrated the space design (since the old ones waste a lot of empty screen space).

I've also moved the review index (A-Z) to the top of the screen. My intention is to get rid of browser scroll bars (if you're on 1024x768 and above).

There should also be an scrolling applet on the home page displaying our new reviews. I'm not sure if anyone will have problems with this (since Javascript isn't always compatible with all browsers), but do let me know either way if you can see it or not, and what you think.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts/comments. Bear in mind that the site is always evolving and I'm learning this as I go along! :)

Thanks,

JK.

Looking swell!

npearce said:
There is about 2 inches of wasted space to the right of all the content. Maybe it's just my monitor. I've got a 17 incher . . . monitor, that is.

Yep, welcome to the world of site design. Believe it or not, but web design companies have to build for the 800x600 crowd so it's considered a "best business practice".

Check out most corporate websites and they will have the same empty gaps...still, by limiting the size, I can keep things pretty consistent too.

The review text scroll bar and the browser scroll bar next to each other (as they are on most of the reviews) are an eye-sore. So with the new smaller review approach, I can get rid of the browser scroll bar.

And with the A-Z index going across the screen, instead of down the left hand side, allows me to get rid of the other scroll bar.

One fixed scroll bar per review text only and you'll never lose sight of the navigation menu or much beloved logo.

Yeah that's my goal - get rid of unnecessary scrolling.

I'm going to revamp all the reviews over the next few days (when I find the time) so the scroll bars are reduced.

If anyone is interested, the next batch upload is happening this weekend. We have some good stuff going up (more reviews), including three new interviews. One interview in particular will have npearce running screaming. :D

And I know we owe a new live report. Funnily enough, the Opeth report still gets a ton of hits, along with the Arch Enemy interview.

Next live report should be the Nile & Napalm Death show...Papa - can we do a cross-country Nile report covering both Houston and New York? Waddayafink?