New Slayer Album Pulled In India After Christians Complain

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqnimal

Aug 15, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Angry Christians force Slayer album out of India Tue Oct 10, 7:52 AM ET

MUMBAI (Reuters) - U.S. heavy metal band Slayer's latest album has been recalled from music stores across India after the country's small Christian community said the cover depicting Christ with amputated arms and a missing eye was insulting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Christian groups said the album -- "Christ Illusion" -- did not only have an offensive image on its cover, but some of the songs such as "Skeleton Christ" and "Jihad" hurt the sensibilities of Christians and Muslims alike.

"We took strong exception to the album which is offensive and in very bad taste," said Joseph Dias of Mumbai's Catholic Secular Forum.

The protests prompted EMI Music, Slayer's Indian-based label, to pull the album from all music stores and its depots.

"Last week we recalled all the albums and destroyed them as we did not want any community to be hurt," said T. Suresh, the company general manager.

In May, Christians, who make up about two per cent of Hindu-majority India's one-billion plus population, protested against the screening of "The Da Vinci Code", and forced its producers, Sony Pictures, to add a disclaimer saying the movie was a work of fiction.

Link

NOTE TO MODS- Please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but it's alright for Ganesha to have 4 arms? silly Indians.

ganesh.gif

@thoth-amon: You must be one of those people who ruins concerts left and right with such displays of yelling.

Interesting that this happens in India of all places. You'd figure the US would be more sensitive. I'm surprised they didn't anticipate this reaction and put on some sort of slipcase for markets where this sort of thing might happen.

MasterOLightning said:
@thoth-amon: You must be one of those people who ruins concerts left and right with such displays of yelling.

Interesting that this happens in India of all places. You'd figure the US would be more sensitive. I'm surprised they didn't anticipate this reaction and put on some sort of slipcase for markets where this sort of thing might happen.
It was a joke moron... apparently my humor is too sophisticated for you.

Slayer's just as lame as those whiny Christians are now. They need to either retire or join other bands. The anti-christ wannabes thing was cool for their first several albums, but now they've retarded down to the level of Glen Benton.

MasterOLightning said:
I'm surprised they didn't anticipate this reaction and put on some sort of slipcase for markets where this sort of thing might happen.
Strange. Whenever I've seen the album in stores, it has a white slipcase over it. :guh:

TaylorC said:
Slayer's just as lame as those whiny Christians are now. They need to either retire or join other bands. The anti-christ wannabes thing was cool for their first several albums, but now they've retarded down to the level of Glen Benton.

Slayer ARE the whiny Christians now.

How typical. Christians just thinking about jesus and the afterlife while the flame of 'freedom of speech' out. I think any religious exremists in today age's going againsts 'laws' should be prosecuted. That's breaking rules. Having your own views on religion is protected by freedom of speech and is not breaking rules/laws protecting our freedoms.

I'm not sticking up for slayer but the christians should be 'pulled' for this and should be criminal prosecuted for not respecting amendments. Then again our laws/rules probably don't apply india.

... if this happened in this US then.

TaylorC said:

STFU... geez lol how many of the bands you like and their albums have satanic references either directly or indirectly? ... i'm amazed sometimes when a extreme metal fan of all things says something stupid... who really cares what is in the lyrics anyways? i sure the hell (oops sorry for using that word lol ).. don't.... :Smug: as for this issue... only 2% of over 1 billion are christian in that country and EMI backed down like that ? lol and how many are christians in the U.S. of the population and they have no problem selling the album here and not backing down to the religious fanatics here? ... :Smug:

STFU... geez lol how many of the bands you like and their albums have satanic references either directly or indirectly? ... i'm amazed sometimes when a extreme metal fan of all things says something stupid... who really cares what is in the lyrics anyways? i sure the hell (oops sorry for using that word lol ).. don't.... as for this issue... only 2% of over 1 billion are christian in that country and EMI backed down like that ? lol and how many are christians in the U.S. of the population and they have no problem selling the album here and not backing down to the religious fanatics here? ...

Ummmm. I disagree with the first half of the post. The last half of your post I do agree about. There is A LOT of christians in America and I am surprised that they didn't protest about the Christ Illusion album yet. I'm also surprised they didn't even protest over Slayer touring yet also (if they did I didn't hear about it). Although most of the christians I meet don't seem to care. Maybe this is the case right now meaning they don't care about a satanic album being out.

Blue_Jay said:
Ummmm. I disagree with the first half of the post. The last half of your post I do agree about. There is A LOT of christians in America and I am surprised that they didn't protest about the Christ Illusion album yet. I'm also surprised they didn't even protest over Slayer touring yet also (if they did I didn't hear about it). Although most of the christians I meet don't seem to care. Maybe this is the case right now meaning they don't care about a satanic album being out.

The first half of the post is correct because he is bitching about slayer's anti-christian lyrics.. but im sure if we go through his CD collection you will find bands that attack christianity directly or indirectly or talk about occult or satanic issues... so if he likes those bands then who the fuck is he to criticize a band like Slayer? ... also even if he didn't have any cd's with bands like that I'm sure the bands he does like have repetitive themes in their music/lyrics on all or most of their albums... this is not about a band's anti christian themes but about a band being repetitive.. again who cares about the lyrics? ... yes some of us sing the lyrics or chant the choruses... but do we really give a fuck what the lyrics mean? ...

Second half of post I meant that the Christian population is way larger here then in India and in the past and now Slayer's label has never backed down and recalled a album from the shelves here in the U.S. BTW I believed the benches that were adverising Slayers album were pulled in California but those were local government owned benches i believe not like a record store.

Status
Not open for further replies.