New Solstice track (my mix vs published mix)

Pman

Feb 18, 2006
UK
www.facebook.com
Just recorded the pre-production track for a song off the next Solstice album at the studio I work at. The solstice i'm referring to is the UK epic doom (now just epic heavy metal) band, not the US death/thrash or any other band.

The plan was always to track the song here and then send the tracks off to the guitarists preferred mixer/mastering engineer who mixed/mastered their last EP. The track we recorded was simply a preproduction and teaser until the new album is recorded mid next year, some of which we will be involved in.
Just some drums, 2 rhythms guitars, 2 leads, bass and vocals.

Basically I did my own mix of the song, but aware that our version would not be used, i didn't really go all out on it.

The official mix was published a few days ago, I was hoping for some comparison and criticism between my mix and the published mix if possible.
The guitarist/mainman of the band is very particular on having an all natural and old school sound. No tube screamers, super high gain amps, minimal drum samples etc

Also a little consideration, whichever version you listen to first, I imagine it may influence your impression of the other version. But whatever, just go for it. :devil:

Published mix:

My mix:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to level match the volumes just using the controls on here.

I liked your drums in the intro, I preferred them but after that it seemed to me that the published one sounded more polished overall despite there seeming to be a lot of mid range added, perhaps during the mastering stage? I don't know. It also sounded like yours wasn't as well compressed and limited to the standard of the published version, there were some clean guitar notes that seemed to spike in volume. I thought during the first lead/solo after the heavy guitars came in was more audible than in the published version.

But then you need to realise I am listening to this through a UX2 in to M-Audio AV40s with the tinnitus ringing extra loud today!