New Sonata Arctica album announced - Pariah's Child

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
From Twitter: @SonataKemi:

The new SONATA ARCTICA album "Pariah's Child" will be released on March 28th.

Album Art

1P07xAr.jpg

Vocalist Tony Kakko explains he thoughts behind the album title and the artwork like this: "As always it's pretty hard coming up with a name for the new baby. I tried to approach it from many angles; how this is our 8th album and how easy it would be to abuse that fact. All the symbolism of figure eight, eternity and so on. But that just did not feel right as it's been done so many times. Then I started to think how we'd in ways abandoned our "totem animal", the wolf and all what comes with the territory. As the music on the album is bowing more towards the "old" Sonata, meaning more power metal style elements and wolves in many of the songs in one form or another, it was clear we need a wolf on the cover. An abandoned wolf. A pariah. Or Pariah's child, actually. The new generation to bring the old logo back."

I know SGHN was contentious for some but I really enjoyed it overall after giving it a lot of time to sink in and hope this one will continue that proud modern Sonata tradition of "huh...this sounds weird and lame...hmm...HMM...actually this is good!"

I understand your feelings towards the last album, and for people like yourself who enjoyed it I do hope they find that sense of traveling new sonic territories will exist within this album. What I have gathered however is that many of the songs are written to in the style of the earlier SA albums. Good ol' power metal that I love so much.

So spectacularly hyped for this now.

I enjoyed SGHN - whilst I didn't think it lived up to the old stuff (even TDoG - that's still a superb album), it was good.

But seeing a wolf and the old logo on the cover again.... :loco:

I really liked the last album and to be honest I really hope their willingness for mixing styles and generally going in less predictable directions than most bands continues (which I think it will).

I can understand more why a lot of people didn't take too well to Unia and TDOG, but the negative reaction to SGHN genuinely surprised me.

Looking forward to the new album either way.

Edit: I suppose with SGHN, it is more of a "grower" album, so people only gave it one or two listens may not have been impressed enough to give it further listens. I did enjoy it on my first listen, but there were songs that took some growing on me and so my opinion of the album improved considerably over multiple listens.

Very interested seeing the old logo make a return. That's about all I can speculate on. I'm sure this album won't disappoint either. Great news for the start of 2014.

On March, 28th the new SONATA ARCTICA album »Pariah’s Child« will be released. It is the band’s eights studio album and the follow up to their successful »Stones Grow Her Name«.

Today SONATA ARCTICA release the tracklist of »Pariah’s Child«:

01. The Wolves Die Young
02. Running Lights
03. Take One Breath
04. Cloud Factory
05. Blood
06. What Did You Do In The War, Dad?
07. Half A Marathon man
08. X Marks The Spot
09. Love
10. Larger Than Life

The recordings were just completed, and the band is till overwhelmed by themselves about the final result. Vocalist Tony Kakko recently commented:

“There are some instant Sonata-Greatest-Hits songs there, which feels good. I think we reached the result we had in mind, each of us in our own field. We went on to create the next SONATA ARCTICA power metalesque album and I think we achieved it adequately. I have to say that I had drifted pretty far away from those “days of thunder”, that speedy happy go lucky attitude. I was happy to notice this style can still make me smile. It's good. Music has to do that to me. It also shows the other older songs in a totally new light for me. I can now understand and appreciate why the fans enjoy what we did in the early days.”

The album was recorded and produced by the band at “Studio 57” in Alaveteli, Finland. The mix was done by the band’s new bass player Kauppinen.

SONATA ARCTICA also recorded five studio episodes with each member, which will be released every week. Check out the first part, featuring drummer Tommy Portimo, here:

http://youtu.be/Q0WTxiNlVHU

Hells to the yeah, sign me up. I always love reading new Sonata song titles for the first time. I remember the first time I saw Stones Grow Her Name's tracklist and I just laughed. Really intrigued by some of these, especially What Did You Do In The War, Dad?

Yeah really. From my perspective, I think many of the song names on this new album are just weird and stupid. But since its just names, the songs might sound better....We'll see, but I am doubtful

There's a Wolves Die Young snippet on the UK iTunes store if anyone is interested. Sounds ok but still a little too weird-Sonata for my tastes.

Need a few more listens but I like it on the first one. Vocals are a bit obnoxious at times though.

Last edited by a moderator: