New Sonata Arctica

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I know many ppl here probably don't like them, but I think some do...

Anyone heard this new album Unia? it's a pile of shit. Basically, they devoided themselves of all things that made them SA in the first place - the album has no speed, the melodies are so uninspiring I could puke up my breakfast, and the whole thing doesn't have 1 standout track. What a let down.

Wow, I didn't find it was that bad, yes it's not there best, and it's certainly not there worst, but I liked it

huh that's good for you then (im not being sarcastic)...i wish i could like it. do you agree it's quite different? i mean, it could basically have come from another band as far as i can hear.

I think that it's quite different from their older material, but I like it nonetheless.

huh that's good for you then (im not being sarcastic)...i wish i could like it. do you agree it's quite different? i mean, it could basically have come from another band as far as i can hear.

yeah I agree that it's different, btw.

There a few good songs on it tho, like "The Harvest" and "In Black And White"

I still find it pleasing to listen to. It's just that it sounds entirely different than the rest of their albums.

Thread cleaned and reopened, keep on topic (and no insults).

That said, I am seeing a lotof mixed reactions to this new album (I have yet to hear it). I hear there aren't any fast tunes like we have been accustomed to, some people say they don't like it, some like it after a few listens, some right away. Very strange to see so many different opinions. I saw they changed their logo some, that's always a spooky thing!

I'll be checking it out soon.

The songs are very 'poppyish'. But they do have a brilliant sense of melody and can write effortlessly catchy songs. But I gave up on them after hearing Winterheart's Guild. It wasn't a bad record as such, but just flat sounding. I still love Ecliptica (was listening to it today in fact) and Silence is simply one the best power metal albums ever.

Wrong. I have yet to listen to a single metal band that has lyrics as good as Sonata Arctica's. That makes them an instant gem.

Good lyrics :zombie: :zombie: ????!!?!?!?!

You are joking right??? They are terrible!

"My eyes might have betrayed me but I have seen
Your picture on the cover of a filthy magazine"

I'm sure that wasn't intended to be so hilarious.

How about this:

"Walking through the cool night air without underwear"

Or:

"While you were sleeping
I steal your earring"

:lol: :lol:

i agree that silence is one of the best power metal albums ever...ecliptica is outstanding as well. both of those albums have no weak tracks....winter heart's guild has a few great, a few filler tracks, and reckoning night only has white pearl black ocean and the rest is blah.

the lyrics...well....they appeal to certian ppl.

How about this:

"Walking through the cool night air without underwear"

I've listened to that song before and that's the only annoying part about the song. Gosh there is very few negative sides to the lyrics from Sonata Arctica imo. The other two examples I haven't listened to those two songs yet but I'm sure both could be used to make up a really great song with great lyrics in it to. Wolf & Raven and Broken have got to have some of the greatest lyrics ever made.

"I am now like Judas done, Afraid Of What I've become, fear for life I wear as a ring to bask in your favor I will kill the king. Let me go master I hate you so how can I sleep my nights when my whole being cries" - Wolf & Raven. (all under fast guitars).

If those lyrics aren't great what is.

The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet

I know isn't that song great? That's a cover song that Sonata Arctica did, I'm not sure which band did it though.

I've only listened to it once but I felt as though it was a natural progression from Reckoning Night. The only direction they could go in. They were already developing that "bigger" sound, now they just needed to add the emotion and atmosphere to it.