New song! Better tone?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
So, i wrote this song the other day and recorded it. I think it came out good. Except the drums still seem robotic at points. Im using DFH DKFH. any tips?

I got a new mic, im using an E609 and an SM57 now instead of my condenser and the 57. Seems this set up is clearer for the guitars.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks! PS, i am doing the vocals as well.

Top one....Peeling back.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=737886&content=music

-Song is good especially the chorus and some other stuff
-Tempo is fine for chorus and some parts but for the "thrash verse" and the kinda slow blast beat part it sounds really slow... You should try other drums beats on those parts or maybe use those parts for another song with a faster tempo.
-the sound sound very lo-fi... i mean more than the normal 128 kb crap from soundclick... weird...
-the vocals are great.

·I like the guitar tone, but not the character, too grainy for my taste.
·Drums need some processing.
·I can't hear any bass there.
·I also think it sounds a bit lo-fi.
·Drums are over-compressed, you can feel how the bass drum shakes the entire mix when it blastbeats.
·Vox are great, yeah :D

I kinda like it ;)

I dont get the Lofi you guys are talking about....can you please explain? I know what lo-fi means, but what about it sounds lo fi? Also what can i do to fix it?

And there is no bass guitar in this song..I dont have one.

Just listening to your song then listen to a professional mix. The lack of bass and mastering, obviously doesnt help, and that kind of wishy washy area in the highs

Otherwise good work!

As said previous, it guitars sound a little grainy.

I dont get the Lofi you guys are talking about....can you please explain? I know what lo-fi means, but what about it sounds lo fi? Also what can i do to fix it?

And there is no bass guitar in this song..I dont have one.

It seems lossy in the hi-end, as if it were there before you compressed it to mp3. Lo-fi stands for Low Fidelity, meaning it isn't as "true" to the original sound as a hi-fi recording/system. Hi-fi systems reproduce the sound as accurately as possible.

It seems lossy in the hi-end, as if it were there before you compressed it to mp3. Lo-fi stands for Low Fidelity, meaning it isn't as "true" to the original sound as a hi-fi recording/system. Hi-fi systems reproduce the sound as accurately as possible.

Im using a presonus firebox....is that not Hi Fi?

I think by lo-fi they mean what I was referring to as 'muffled' when I told ya before...

did you use a Lo-Pass in there? maybe you're cutting a bit too much of the highs... or maybe you're havin phase problems with your mics (I wouldn't know that much about that second thing, tho, I'm a noob mic'ing)

I do't think the problem, however, are the guitars... I think it's the drums and mostly the cymbals not filling enough of the high-end in the mix

I think by lo-fi they mean what I was referring to as 'muffled' when I told ya before...

did you use a Lo-Pass in there? maybe you're cutting a bit too much of the highs... or maybe you're havin phase problems with your mics (I wouldn't know that much about that second thing, tho, I'm a noob mic'ing)

I doubt its phase issue rex, i know howto get the in-phase. Plus phase issue are usually lacking low end from what i understand.

I did the low pass at 12hz.

maybe mics were too close to the cab...i had them on the grill

I doubt its phase issue rex, i know howto get the in-phase. Plus phase issue are usually lacking low end from what i understand.

I did the low pass at 12hz.

maybe mics were too close to the cab...i had them on the grill

You mean khz right? Because low passing at 12hz would be quite a problem...

The overheads/cymbals should be filling out most of the hi end.

You mean khz right? Because low passing at 12hz would be quite a problem...

The overheads/cymbals should be filling out most of the hi end.

Yep thats what i meant :) So you think its the drums mainly too?

Im gonna do another recording tommrrow....diff song though. We will see.

Unavalible Or Rex....you know of any good Mp3 compressors?