New song. ENGL Pball content

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
So this is pretty much my first real post over here. I figured it would be best to post a song i made. This is a song that i wrote and recorded yesterday. The vocals are me as well. ( i am brand new to vocals so go easy on me :))

Its recorded with My Powerball Dual miced with an SM57 and a AT2020 into a presonus firebox into cubase LE. I know there are alot of people on here that get the mastering thing down to a science.....however i dont, so i know the quality isnt the best recordind. But i think its good for what i got.

Letme know what you guys think!
Its thetop one New Song with vocals
Thanks

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=737886&content=music

Wow, you are a great singer. I really liked your vocals. The guitars need some work. They sound pretty flat.

But the song is really good. Impressed!

Sounds good but :

-you should improve the drum sound

-the guitars sound too gainy or something... it's a bit "messy". I definitely dig the Powerball tone though. (I have an SE myself).

Then did you use the same settings on the amp for both takes ? If not you should have a kind of "scooped" (with some mids still :), like 12' o clock) guitar on one side and another "mid-rangey" (mids at 3'o clock and less bass and treble than the "scooped" setting) guitar on the other side.

I'm gonna record mys tuff with my ENGL SE that way soon and i think it will kick some serious ass.

-i dig the vocals. Sometimes it reminds me of Jorge Rosado from Merauder/Rag Men/God is i. It has a kinda power metal (à la Pantera)/Hardcore vibe i like.

-the song is very promising.

^ Thanks for the comments man, I usedthe same settings on all takes....But the suggestion you made is agreat idea. Im gonna give that a try on my next record. And hopefully i dont love it , cause then ill have to re record all my songs.:p

Thanks again....good suggestion!

Then did you use the same settings on the amp for both takes ? If not you should have a kind of "scooped" (with some mids still :), like 12' o clock) guitar on one side and another "mid-rangey" (mids at 3'o clock and less bass and treble than the "scooped" setting) guitar on the other side.

Hmm, that's pretty much a no-no IMO. Use two tones, but have a take of both tones on both channels

Left Channel - 1 take of tone 1, 1 take of tone 2
Right Channel - 1 take of tone 1, 1 take of tone 2

This way you retain the same sound on both channels, but you thicken up the sound.

Hmm, that's pretty much a no-no IMO. Use two tones, but have a take of both tones on both channels

Left Channel - 1 take of tone 1, 1 take of tone 2
Right Channel - 1 take of tone 1, 1 take of tone 2

This way you retain the same sound on both channels, but you thicken up the sound.

Well, what about those albums where guitars are dual-tracked and where the guitar on the left side has a very different sound from the guitar on the right side, and still they blend very well together, and the overall mix sounds huge ?

I mean, if you're recording with one amp and one guitar only, and only dual-tracking, isn't it better to have different settings on each side that can complement each other ?

p.s: when i mean "scooped" i don't mean "scooped" in the douchebag noob way... It's just scooped in comparison to the other setting which is more mid-rangey

On my SE the scooped setting is the following : (o'clock)

-bass : 1
-middle : noon
-treble : 1'30

the "mid-rangey" setting is :

-bass: noon
-middle: 2
-treble : 12'30

Does it sound wrong to you ?

Well, if you looked I said in my opinion, I never liked albums where each channel has a different guitar tone, always sounds weird to me. Not saying your way is wrong to everyone, just to me. I'd just quad track, and be done with it. If the dude is gonna re-record it anyways, he might as well quad track it with two tracks of each setting, like I said. But that's just me, go with whatever sounds good to you.

Well, if you looked I said in my opinion, I never liked albums where each channel has a different guitar tone, always sounds weird to me. Not saying your way is wrong to everyone, just to me. I'd just quad track, and be done with it. If the dude is gonna re-record it anyways, he might as well quad track it with two tracks of each setting, like I said. But that's just me, go with whatever sounds good to you.

Ok that's just a matter of taste then.

Even if quad-tracking as you describe sounds good, i tend to prefer the dual-tracking with a different tone on each side, providing each sound kicks ass on its own and both complement each other very well (which is great when you have the guitars playing 2 different parts (you can hear both distinctively) at the same time, and which is great also when they play the same riff (they complement well so the overall sound sounds huge) ).
A good example for me is Slipknot's Iowa album, especially the beginning of the song "The Heretic Anthem" (when you hear the left guitar only first it soudns huge on itself, and when the right guitar kicks in with the same riff the overall sound becomes CRUSHING).

I've always had the impression that when there's dual parts like that, like the thrash metal thing where one guitar plays something and another does some accent palm mute strikes with the drums, or other parts like that, the guitars are divided Tone 1 = Left 100% + Left 80%, Tone 2 = Right 80%, Right 100%, and when the full part begins where all rhythm guitars play the same thing, the guitars are divided in the other way (Tone 1+Tone 2 = L100+L80 and second set of Tone 1+Tone 2 = R100+R80).

I've always had the impression that when there's dual parts like that, like the thrash metal thing where one guitar plays something and another does some accent palm mute strikes with the drums, or other parts like that, the guitars are divided Tone 1 = Left 100% + Left 80%, Tone 2 = Right 80%, Right 100%, and when the full part begins where all rhythm guitars play the same thing, the guitars are divided in the other way (Tone 1+Tone 2 = L100+L80 and second set of Tone 1+Tone 2 = R100+R80).

Interesting... Anyone about this ?

Shifting the panning of tones mid-song seems like it would be REALLY distracting - I tend to think it's better to just pick one thing and stick with it, though that's just from a theoretical perspective...

Shifting the panning of tones mid-song seems like it would be REALLY distracting - I tend to think it's better to just pick one thing and stick with it, though that's just from a theoretical perspective...

i agree...

But on the other side i may have also heard some kind of guitar tone shifting in the middle of some songs (but maybe not the exact way described by Torniojaws)

Personally i'm more into keeping things simple.