New song featuring Dan Tompkins and Marty Friedman

keshav

New Metal Member
Dec 27, 2010
New Delhi, IN
www.soundclick.com
Hey guys,

Thought I'd share a new song with you, this one has Daniel Tompkins (from Tesseract) on vocals, and Marty Friedman on a guest solo.

The vocals and the solo might take some getting used to, as they were a bit unexpected even for me haha, but hope you guys enjoy it anyway!

Here it is:

Guitar tone is all Axe FX, except for the cleans in the ambient bridge (those are all Pod XT). Guitar used was an Ibanez SZ with a BKP Cold Sweat in the bridge.

Let me know what you think - bouquets, brickbats all more than welcome :) Also any mix or master advice you might have, please do share!

Cheers,

Keshav

Last edited by a moderator:
why the hell is marty playing on your song ?

Wow in the end, these vocals gave me goosebumps, I was asking to myself when he would stop going higher in his scream ?

The song rocks seriously.

My only issue is with the mixing ov the vocals - the layers are a bit too loud/wide, loses any center in the focus and sounds kind of cloudy/incoherent at times as a result.

Fucking owns, though - how'd you get Dan to do vocals? He's one of my absolute favorite singers and has been since the FSOF days!

my main beefs with drums though.. could me more smashing, still cool though :)

and fuck, new delhi.. went to goa with leaves eyes some time ago.
You werent there by any chance? indian music conference?

Whoa thanks a lot guys!! Very glad you approve :)

Jeff - Dan just emailed me one day saying he liked the songs and was interested in collaborating, and we took it from there!

LeSedna - Marty and I are working on some other material as well, I didn't even think he'd actually do a solo for my song but when I asked him he was really cool about it and threw it down straightaway.

Seizure - Hahaha, the IMC... no I wasn't there sadly but it must have been quite the entertaining holiday for you guys :lol:

I agree about the drums, I actually need to work a lot on managing such a densely layered mix, once the vocals came in (and there's some crazy layering going on with them too) I think everything might have gotten a bit too squashed. Ahh well...i'll work on it!

Thanks again all :)

I'm a huge fan of Marty's work, but the solo doesn't quite sound like him. Sure it's got some of his oriental flare, but couldn't that be done with just some modulating pitch shifting going on? ;)
Either way, the song as a whole sounds really cool. And if it IS Marty playing, I was hoping to hear him do a lot more than just that. Sadness. :(

Whoa thanks a lot guys!! Very glad you approve :)

Seizure - Hahaha, the IMC... no I wasn't there sadly but it must have been quite the entertaining holiday for you guys :lol:

I agree about the drums, I actually need to work a lot on managing such a densely layered mix, once the vocals came in (and there's some crazy layering going on with them too) I think everything might have gotten a bit too squashed. Ahh well...i'll work on it!

Thanks again all :)

Hahaha yeah, but you know, its not fun to do that on the expenses of someone else. but india was really cool though, coming back with aborted in a while, shits in the works, hope we can get something in new delhi going then, because we need to hang out man and talk music dude!

This sounds awesome, your work shouldnt be overshadowed by marty and dans names, the song is awesome. listened to it a bunch!

first i thought, oh no not this kind of song/music again but then, thank to the awesome melodic vocals it got moreand more interesting.
end part is nice, i like hearing leads and vocals simultaneously.

cheers
S.

I didn't know you lurked here too, Keshav. I've got to hear this track before because of gotdjent and I liked the writing a lot, but I couldn't help bur listen to it again now that I've seen your post. The issues I had with the mixing were already addressed in this thread, but you did a pretty nice job. Keep it up!

Whoa. Awesome track. Really loving the vocals. Very soulful.
Mix is good overall, allthought those vocs keep getting too wide time to time. Hard to explain it.
Nothing more to say that I just love it.

Goddamn the last parts of that song gave me so many chills, + I personally loved the solo.

The mix could be a bit better, mostly in the drums and a bit of the vocal layering (all issues were already mentioned though), but really, who cares? The music has really intense emotional weight and that's what it's all about, at least to me it is.

Keep it up.

Thanks a whole lot you guys, it's really inspiring that you dig the music!

I agree about the mix needing work, funny enough I actually got it sounding better as an instrumental (mix wise), but once all the vocal layers came into the picture I think stuff just got a wee bit too squashed in the end. Ah well...i'll just keep at it I guess!

Seizure - for sure dude! Hell, if you're coming down with aborted i'll be damn sure to fly to wherever you guys are gonna be playing! \m/