New song - Fire Down Below

SkyMan666

How do record? \O_o/
Feb 7, 2008
Hey. It's me again. :)

I've re-record an old song and now I'm serving it to you guys for opinions, what's good, bad, etc.

There are some songs on my soundclick, that have been added recently, but are just few quick ideas. They have to be recorded again.

Feedback appreciated.

TIA, SkyMan

Fire Down Below V2

sounds cool dude, sounds like EZdrummer toms?
This is what I would do:

1. Bring up the guitars and bass. While you're at it maybe put a lowpass filter on the guitar to get rid of some highend.
2. The snareverb is to obvious. Scoop some mid out of the verb and you will have a nice flashy verb.
3. The guitar that enters around 3:53 makes the overall mix clip a couple of times.

Other than that it sounds good!

Hey. Thanx for input.

Yes they are EZ toms. I f***** hate the smallest one, the 10".... Otherones can be processed, so they can't be "recognized".... :saint:
About guitars: I'll try lowpass around 15 kHz. What have you meant qith "Bring 'em up..."?? Volume?
How's bass sounding, anyway... To me it's like :puke:.... :D... I've been messin' around with my SRX and tryin' to get some decent bass sound with my PODxt, but no luck for now. Have any recommendation or any preset? I'll try search a little on Line 6's Custom tone library.... We'll see.
And thanx for that input 'bout snare verb. I'll try your suggestion out.

Thanx again for listening.

Andy recommends low passing around 12khz, try that. But damn, I thought it rocked, like the groove of the song. The guitarwork totally reminds me of Soilwork. The toms sound awesome (especially that opener), are they really the stock DFH ones? But yeah, the guitars kinda sound stuck behind the drums, switch em around and it would be cool, and the drums seem to surround the guitars too much.

Morning guys.

Was a tough night for me. I'm sick as hell (39,5 degrees...), so I'll be quick for answer.

@gorath23: Stock toms? Yes and no.... They are stock as a source, but then I've put API 560 EQ on 'em, little bit of Sonalksis Stereo Comp. and C1 gate. I've follow Splatt88's recipe. I've made 4 MIDI EZ DFH channels: 1st for Snare, 2nd for Kick, 3rd for Toms and 4th for Cymbals.... It's so much easier to control bleeding and to get good results.
Soilwork? Hahaha, I'm flattered, but I think Ola Frenning and Peter Wichers are billion years ahead of me (considering guitar playing of course). I'll try Andy suggestion. But that will be somewhere next week, I suppose, 'cause I'll have to recover first. Man, I feel like shit now.

Thanx again for checking the song. If you'll notice anything else, feel free to drop a comment here.

BR, SkyMan

Skyman, you mention Splatt88's recipe for toms, I don't think this is something I've read before. I don't have any of the plugs you mention but I'd still like to read what was said, any chance of a link? Thanks man. Oh and one tip, you say you only run 4 channels on DFH, so I guess the Room mic is bundled in with one of the others? Maybe separate that and run it on its own channel. It comes in handy when you want to bus toms/snare to a separate reverb, means you don't end up with a big reverby mess (although your mix sounded fine). Plus I guess you have more control over the individual parts. I started off assigning the room to the OH channel, but I quickly found that didn't work too well.

Hey.

I've did a mistake, while I was explaining. I run 4 separate MIDI tracks.... Each track has its own instance of DFH. I'll explain my way of routing... :D
Now:
1st MIDI DFH track: Snare only, everything else is disabled (lets say: 14" Ayotte) ---> You apply Multichannel output in EZ Mixer, so that would lead us to:
- EZ1 -> None
- EZ2 -> Snare Top,
- EZ3 -> Snare Bottom
- EZ4,5 -> None
- EZ6 -> OH (with Bleed function ON)
- EZ7 -> Room
- EZ8 -> Comp Room
2nd MIDI DFH Track: Kick only:
- EZ1 (2) -> Kick
- EZ2,3,4,5 (2) -> None
- EZ6 (2) -> OH (Bleed ON)
- EZ7 (2) -> Room
- EZ8 (2) -> Comp Room
3rd MIDI DFH Track: Toms only:
- EZ1 (3) -> Tom1 10"
- EZ2 (3) -> Tom2 12"
- EZ3 (3) -> Tom3 13"
- EZ4 (3) -> Floor Tom1 16"
- EZ5 (3) -> Floor Tom2 18"
- EZ6 (3) -> OH (Bleed ON)
- EZ7 (3) -> Room
- EZ8 (3) -> Comp Room
4th MIDI DFH Track: Cymbals and HH only:
- EZ1,2,3,5 (4) -> None
- EZ4 (4) -> HiHat
- EZ6 (4) -> OH (Bleed here is not important, since there are only cymbals loaded :) )
- EZ7 (4) -> Room
- EZ8 (4) -> Comp Room

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, that's it. From here on you can start experimenting by yourself to find out the sound you're lookin'for. Try different EQ's, compressors, verbs etc. I'm often using UAD's plugs with API's and Sonalksis. That's pretty much it.
Enjoy.

BR, SkyMan