new song roughmix - marshall jvm clippage inside

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hi guys,

just thought i'd post a roughmix on a demosong i'm working on right now. still instrumental - we originally wanted to record vocals this week but my singer got into an accident so things got delayed for quite some time....

anyways, this is a VERY rough version. there's still lots and lots of work to do and not really mixed.
drums are 100% natural except for the kick which is a blend of 4 slate samples. honestly, i just panned them roughly, slight eq and compression on the snare, filtering on OHs and cymbals, some reverb, done.
guitars are 2 tracks, jackson DKMGT with emg85 in the bridge -> marshall JVM 210 OD orange channel -> framus 212 cab with v30 speakers -> sm57. highpass at 60 lowpass at 11k, that's it. completely untouched.
leads are the same signal chain but mostly on the neck pickup (emg81), and OD red mode. same settings on the amp. some delay and reverb on the leads and more drastic filtering, but not real eq.
bass is yamaha rbx 375 into sansamp psa1. now, this is a tough one. usually i'm tracking 4 guitars and make the guitars sound pretty fat, and then let the bass fill out the remaining lowend. with this one we're trying to give the bass much more space and make it stand out a lot more - hence the marshall with it's midrange dominance and only double tracked rhythms. i was looking for a grindy midrangey bass that's sorta crunchy, but in hindsight i went a bit too far on the gain i think.....it's about as audible as i want, but i'm not feeling it yet.

once again, this is mostly a JVM tone test, not a real mix.
still, feel free to comment ;)

link
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/RET...vanitas (demo) instrumental roughmix 2807.mp3

and for even more shits and giggles, here's the same thing with tse 808 -> tse x50 -> engl fireball poweramp -> framus cab -> sm57. basically using the 5150 sim as a preamp for the real engl poweramp.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/RETALIATION/vanitas amp D.mp3

btw, zero post eq on all of these clips, except the 5150 one which has a cut around 600hz and a notch around 5k to tame some honk/fizz respectively.
yes i'm bored today ;)

Not that much bass on the JVM and a bit more highs (maybe a tiny shelf boost is even enough) and you have gold.
Not a huge fan of the X50->poweramp clip, never liked fireballs too much too.

thanks for the comments.

i'm not a big fan of the x50 clip either. guess it can work out as a second set in a quadtrack scenario, but as a standalone tone it's too digital sounding.
my favorite is the jvm + engl version. the marshall alone sounds cool (although i agree with you mago, but as i said just hp+lp on all those tracks) but has an abundance of high mids that sorta mask the ambience of the whole mix. the engl alone on the other hand is just too dry and somewhat unexciting. clip C with both amps running sounds best to me, combines the marshall grind with the tightness of the engl, and let's more of the ambience through.

skyweaver, the drums need more...what exactly?

i'm actually planning to leave this pretty unprocessed and natural for the final mix. especially regarding drums....i tried sample augmenting the snare but it didn't fit the song too well. maybe i'll augment with a sample of the original snare for consistency's sake.

...but has an abundance of high mids that sorta mask the ambience of the whole mix....

yeah that's what I recognized too when trying the JVM (410H tho), masses of annoying high mids...I don't know if that can be dealt with by tweaking, I only tried it for 30mins or so.
Was surprised how fucking tight that thing is. Does awesome crunch sounds.

A raw attitude would really fit quite well for the song.

yeah that's what I recognized too when trying the JVM (410H tho), masses of annoying high mids...I don't know if that can be dealt with by tweaking, I only tried it for 30mins or so.
Was surprised how fucking tight that thing is. Does awesome crunch sounds.

A raw attitude would really fit quite well for the song.

well, the "masses of annoying high mids" are exactly why it is a stellar live amp. it just cuts through the mix like a knife through hot butter :) that's just part of the marshall character that can't really be dialed out with the amp eq, but is easily remedied with some post processing for recording.
on the other hand, trying to dial in that sort of character with the engl (for example) would be a pretty difficult task ;)

anyways, i just finished recording vocals for this track. gonna post a roughmix later today.

oh, and yes, the jvm is really tight. didn't even use a TS.

really easy. i used brand new strings (D'addario prosteel, highly recommended and actually rather cheap for bass strings), signal chain was
rbx -> countryman di -> rme fireface
and rbx -> countryman through -> sansamp psa1 with a middy grinding distorted settting -> fireface

i used bod on the DI with a clean, bright, scooped setting for the main sound. the sansamp was hp/lp'd and blended in for midrange grind.
1176 style compression, limiting, and some eq (mostly shaping the low end, cutting some low mids, and a slight high midrange boost). done.

Awesome song! Thats about all i can add cause I'm a recording noob.seriously though, good job!