New Steve Harris "British Lion" streaming

The only thing about this album I find interesting is that we can hear 'Arry using Jazz Basses and MusicMan basses, aside from his trusted P. Mix is just plain bad imho. This is coming from a huge Steve Harris/Maiden fan, btw...

that's probably the most interesting things of all. steve playing different basses. every record, every song he's ever done was with his trusty p-bass (except for the acoustic bass or music videos like access high, run to the hills and more).

But then again... it's what the client (mr. Harris) wanted and that's the end of it.
Think about it: would you really have done differently, if Steve F'ing Harris asked you to mix it like this?

I still don't like the mix..

^ I dont know if this is only harris decisions. Black Country Communion sounds quite similar and was mixed by him also. If this was in 70/80, it would not be bad. But in this time his mixes are quite weak.

While I agree the first BCC album had a rushed, slightly underproduced sound to it, the second album I thought sounded great - I also think you need to weigh in the fact the sound they were going for, a very live on the floor sound. Like many of the newer Joe Bonamassa albums, Kevin (who also is Joe's producer) seems to be very into recording bands as live as possible if he's allowed to. As for this mix - I'll be interested to hear the final release as this is very reminiscent of the early streaming versions of one of the previous Maiden albums where the streaming stuff sounded aweful (not that some dislike the final products either, but none the less the final product sounded better than the early streaming versions). Like that one, I suspect Steve Harris does have final say on everything he's involved in so most certainly this is the sound Steve wanted - he seems to be into a particular vibe.

Personally I'm extremely forgiving, for lack of a better term, when I think it may be the sound someone is after even if it's not what I would go after. But then again I tend to think things have gotten a little too pristine with productions and at least for me, a little slop is sometimes welcome - but then again I also understand why others would feel different - individual mileage does vary.