New Symphony X album Underworld in July!!!!

Have you heard of this little band called Dream Theater? :lol::p

But seriously, I really like Iconoclast, so we are really splitting hairs here. But then again Symphony X and Dream Theater should be flattered that they have fans that are passionate enough to be this obsessed and petty. The alternative is other bands that would beg for a substantial number of fans to overanalyze the minutia of anything they would do.

yeah I agree, and DT has left me cold for quite some time.... Something SY-X never has....

I'd agree with the anti-Angry Russ folks if his aggressive voice wasn't good. But as someone already mentioned, it's GOOD - like Dio when he got angry at times. Heavy, and fitting to the driving riffs they were putting forth on the two albums previous to this one that's coming out.

This.

Once again, eating regularly trumps not eating.

Certainly does...

Thanks for feeding them!!

Maybe the angry Russell and lack of keys will be changed throughout the new disc and I'll also help feed them but more of this type of song while better won't do it...

Maybe the angry Russell and lack of keys will be changed throughout the new disc and I'll also help feed them but more of this type of song while better won't do it...

mcTQja3
mcTQja3.jpg

Cinched your belt too tight around your King Crimson shirt, did ya?

I get it that this forum is made of mostly power metal people that don't relate to progressive music very well...

I understand it but why all the negative comments towards the people that are more into the complex side of metal music???

Any chance you'll answer my question about who are the "prog fans that are offended by a band NOT doing the same shit over and over again"???

Are they in this forum???

Any chance you'll answer my question about who are the "prog fans that are offended by a band NOT doing the same shit over and over again"???

Are they in this forum???

Yes. They are. There are people who complain every time a new prog band releases an album and it's not part 2 of their favorite. With SX the expected album is V Part 2. I wasn't going to answer because I thought for sure that you were being sarcastic.

I get it that this forum is made of mostly power metal people that don't relate to progressive music very well...

I understand it but why all the negative comments towards the people that are more into the complex side of metal music???

I don't even know where this came from. Us poking at sticks in the mud makes us not like progressive or complex music? I don't even think that this place is majority power metal oriented. All I listen to these days is polyrhythmic insanity, but I guess because I get along just fine with the recent Symphony X output I'm a power metal person who doesn't grok complexities in music. You've made 0 convincing arguments that Russ' vocal tone has changed the writing behind their music.

And the snideness implied is top notch, btw.

I am always entertained when "prog" fans are offended by a band NOT doing the same shit over and over again.

But they are doing the same shit over and over again, this will be the third album in the paradise lost style.

But they are doing the same shit over and over again, this will be the third album in the paradise lost style.

I don't really agree with that assessment. If the album is like this single I think it's something a bit different than Iconoclast, and Iconoclast was definitely much further down the dark and heavy path than Paradise Lost (the logical conclusion of that foray, if you want). That's all my opinion, though.

I don't even know where this came from. Us poking at sticks in the mud makes us not like progressive or complex music? I don't even think that this place is majority power metal oriented. All I listen to these days is polyrhythmic insanity, but I guess because I get along just fine with the recent Symphony X output I'm a power metal person who doesn't grok complexities in music.

You keep referencing KC and I took that as you don't care for them or progressive music..

I'm certainly of the opinion there are mostly power metal fans in this forum from the threads started and especially the end of year top 10 lists. We'll have to agree to disagree with this point...

What does "grok" mean?

I don't really agree with that assessment. If the album is like this single I think it's something a bit different than Iconoclast, and Iconoclast was definitely much further down the dark and heavy path than Paradise Lost (the logical conclusion of that foray, if you want). That's all my opinion, though.

What I'm getting at is just because someone doesn't like the bands more 'aggressive' approach doesn't mean they are against a band changing or progressing. I'm not much of a fan what they are doing either, got nothing to do with it being heavier or less 'prog', its more that I just don't thinks its very good.

Hmmm. Let's see. I think one would be called 'Guy With Sense of Humor'.

Dude. It was a joke. Funny. Hahahah. Try to relax your sphincter.

You see I was being funny also...

Guess you it's now YOU who has to relax your sphincter or maybe neither of us are actually funny no matter how hard we try...

You keep referencing KC and I took that as you don't care for them or progressive music..

I'm certainly of the opinion there are mostly power metal fans in this forum from the threads started and especially the end of year top 10 lists. We'll have to agree to disagree with this point...

What does "grok" mean?

The KC joke started with Aeonic Slumber's post. I merely built off of it. It's not from a distaste for prog. There's no power metal in my top 10 of '14 unless you count Voyager, Hemina, or Anubis Gate as power which I definitely do not.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grok
A handy term coined by one of sci-fi's greats.

I get it that this forum is made of mostly power metal people that don't relate to progressive music very well...I understand it but why all the negative comments towards the people that are more into the complex side of metal music???

To paraphrase The Apostle Paul, I listen to progressive music 'more than ye all'. I am WAY into 'the complex side of metal music'. I am as prog as thou art. So all that jive doesn't apply to me.

However, I do have a question for you. One which I would like you to respond to thoughtfully and in detail. You've listened to the song in question...'Nevermore'. Do you consider that song to be a power metal song?