New Testament...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I've never been a fan of Testament. I'm not quite sure why. Given my age and my musical tastes, I should have been. However, I don't have a single Testament disc in my collection. So clearly my love for this disc has nothing to do with nostalgia. All that said, Dark Roots of the Earth will likely finish the year in my Top 5. This is quite simply a great Metal disc. Great playing, great vocals, great songs.

Highly recommended.

In my humble opinion, Testament is the best of the "thrash" bands and should be the band that holds the spot Metallica has held and continues to hold for reasons I cannot begin to fathom. Every Testament album has crushed. The majority of songs have a melody that goes beyond the general thrash recipe of stacatto bullet-beats and speed riffs. Chuck Billy's voice is an earthquake. The musicianship is of the highest caliber on all fronts. The band has been consistent since day one and never pandered or fell to the trends that resulted in Metallica's Load, Reload, St Anger, etc. or the other thrash bands' changes of direction. Living in Northern California, I have seen Testament more times than I can count and they have played each show as if they had something to prove and their lives depended on it. I agree that Dark Roots of the Earth will be one of the best albums of the year. However, every one of their albums has been equally as good and based on their discography and live performances they deserve a better place in the heiarchy than they have been given.

All that said, Dark Roots of the Earth will likely finish the year in my Top 5. This is quite simply a great Metal disc. Great playing, great vocals, great songs.

Highly recommended.
Glad to hear that. Picking it up right away. Thanks for the recommend.

I've never been a fan of Testament. I'm not quite sure why. Given my age and my musical tastes, I should have been. However, I don't have a single Testament disc in my collection. So clearly my love for this disc has nothing to do with nostalgia. All that said, Dark Roots of the Earth will likely finish the year in my Top 5. This is quite simply a great Metal disc. Great playing, great vocals, great songs.

Highly recommended.

If you like this one you should pick up formation of damnation. That one smokes the whole way through.

I have always loved Testament - I love watching Scholnik playing!! Will be buying the new CD!!!

Zod - It was funny seeing your subject "New Testament"!! Thought for a moment you had converted!! :cool:

In my humble opinion, Testament is the best of the "thrash" bands and should be the band that holds the spot Metallica has held and continues to hold for reasons I cannot begin to fathom. Every Testament album has crushed. The majority of songs have a melody that goes beyond the general thrash recipe of stacatto bullet-beats and speed riffs. Chuck Billy's voice is an earthquake. The musicianship is of the highest caliber on all fronts. The band has been consistent since day one and never pandered or fell to the trends that resulted in Metallica's Load, Reload, St Anger, etc. or the other thrash bands' changes of direction. Living in Northern California, I have seen Testament more times than I can count and they have played each show as if they had something to prove and their lives depended on it. I agree that Dark Roots of the Earth will be one of the best albums of the year. However, every one of their albums has been equally as good and based on their discography and live performances they deserve a better place in the heiarchy than they have been given.

Well said!!! The real Big 4 for me is Testament, Overkill, Exodus and Flotsam & Jetsam.

And the new Testament album is awesome!

They still put on a very strong live performance too.

The new disc has some great songs; the covers on the special edition are awesome, too. Animal Magnetism and Powerslave? FUCK YEAH.

They still put on a very strong live performance too.

The new disc has some great songs; the covers on the special edition are awesome, too. Animal Magnetism and Powerslave? FUCK YEAH.

I'll probably pick it up today. Looking forward to the Powerslave song as that's my favorite Maiden track; however, I'm seriously getting sick of bands covering "Animal Magnetism." Everyone seems to be covering that tune. It's a great song but way overdone.

I picked up the Special Edition today at Best Buy. I've been listening to it via Rhapsody for the last several days though. Simply put, it destroys! For the most part it seems to me that thrash bands don't ever seem to leave their roots. There's always a few exceptions, experimentation, etc., but generally the thrash genre seems to be loyal to their fans by putting out quality NEW music. IMO there isn't a "stinker" in the entire Testament catalog. Chuck and the band simply sound amazing to this day!:worship:

~Brian~

Highly recommended.

Greg, go back and listen to The Gathering if you haven't ever checked that one out. That's a killer album by Testament as well!

~Brian~

Hey Zod,

You have impeccable taste in metal. I can't believe you don't like Testament's back catalog. Their new one does rule indeed. It's by far the best thrast metal disc of 2012. However, you must also re-investigate their earlier stuff. The Gathering is possibly their finest work post-Skolnick. It is very heavy, and I know you like it heavy. Also, you should go back and listen to Practice What You Preach and The New Order. The former is more melodic while the latter is heavier. They're both milestone in thrash, though.

Also, on a side note, Zod, if you haven't heard Ne Obliviscaris' Portal of I, I highly recommend you check it out. It's like earlier Opeth, Ephel Duath, To-Mera, Ihsahn, later-day Emperor, Alcest, and Leprous all mixed into a unique sound. Some of the best metal to come out of Australia, in my opinion.

Cheers!

Also, a side note on visiting old Testament back catalog. NONE of it has been remastered, ever. So the current CDs do it no justice. Apparently, the band is trying to get WMG to reissue it all remastered. A few of the GH collections have been remastered, but there are so many deep cuts missing.

I picked up the Special Edition today at Best Buy. I've been listening to it via Rhapsody for the last several days though. Simply put, it destroys! For the most part it seems to me that thrash bands don't ever seem to leave their roots. There's always a few exceptions, experimentation, etc., but generally the thrash genre seems to be loyal to their fans by putting out quality NEW music. IMO there isn't a "stinker" in the entire Testament catalog. Chuck and the band simply sound amazing to this day!:worship:

~Brian~

I think the "stinker" to me was "demonic". I just couldn't get into that cd, an it was because ALL the vocals were done death metal style and didn't have the creativity testament is known for.

I think the "stinker" to me was "demonic". I just couldn't get into that cd, an it was because ALL the vocals were done death metal style and didn't have the creativity testament is known for.

Demonic was a band trying to compete with the fall of thrash and rise of death metal as a dominant force at the time. It's a great mix of the two genres.