New The Devil Wears Prada

guitarplaya18

Dec 25, 2009
Not really a fan of their older stuff but this song does sound pretty sick despite being generic, though I'm sure many of you might disagree. Shit youtube quality makes it hard to tell how good the production is, but great job joey
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S66sDp0eAjM&feature=related[/ame]

vocals dont stick out like a sore thumb on this as much, which is good, that guys voice hurts

i saw the cover for this as well on sputnik, looked like a godspeed you! black emperor album cover

in case its not obvious, the entire ep is themed around a zombie outbreak

there's several cinematic counterparts weaving in and out of the songs

we tried to go for a movie feel with the whole thing, for example... there's a song that just stops and a switches to a "movie scene" with the words (oh my god, they're everywhere), with an orchestra rise back into the music

everything you hear on the ep was created in my studio, including the scene clips
obviously the strings are from sample libraries, so don't get the wrong idea (ie: we didnt record an orchestra, or an opera singer, but you hear those on the ep)

and if you actually care about story telling in songs, these songs are very well thought-out and compelling in that regard.

Joey. Where did that sample come from?

we made it

i used audio ease's "speaker phone" plugin to make it sound the way it does

we recorded the speaking with sm7b

then i edited the voice to make him sound older using antares vocal throat modeling plugin, and soundshifter pitch

then it was ran through speakerphone where the sound of a old microphone going through an old radio in a bedroom was emulated /modeled

from here the voice was processed in a fork, one way it went through an AM Radio being tuned, and recorded. The result of this was way messy so some of the talking was not understandable. The other route was through the same am radio with no radio dial tuning. the two were blended together with EQ / volume automation

then i flattened all of this EXCEPT for the am radio tune, which was left unaltered

then the tracks were hand-edited by cutting up chunks and randomly repeating small parts in random lengths / positions, all by hand

finally the entire result was ran through a few filters (from pod farm!)

the whole thing took about an hour.

EDIT: oh and the person talking is their keyboard player. I talk on the first song, i say "oh my god they're everywhere" but my voice sounds way movie like. it makes me picture the matrix when they have a close up shot of one of the dudes and they say something way epic. haha. i stayed up really late so i would wake up all groggy and my voice was slightly lower pitched. i recorded my voice over using an audix i5 because it was handy as my talkback mic... its actually scientific fact that your voice is lower when you first wake up, and it worked. then i pitch shifted my self about a half step lower to get the final result. but no one will hear this until the ep comes out anyway so i dont know why im babbling on about it ,,,

Wow! That's awesome man. Sounds real. I knew there was stuttering done but thought you sampled the "radio voice" from a movie. Thanks a lot. You have inspired me to try similar things instead of just sampling from a movie. :kickass:

I guess this way you avoid any copyrights issues. Well done.

Wow! That's awesome man. Sounds real. I knew there was stuttering done but thought you sampled the "radio voice" from a movie. Thanks a lot. You have inspired me to try similar things instead of just sampling from a movie. :kickass:

I guess this way you avoid any copyrights issues. Well done.

i dont like sampling from movies... especially when we already had something VERY specific that we knew we wanted, so going out and searching for a movie to be JUST that would have taken much longer

and it sounds real because... well it pretty much is real. speakerphone is the same technology as altiverb, so the modeled speakers / microphones use impulse responses

and if you can imagine a sound, then you can also create it. you just have to know how to use the tools at your disposal to get there.

Right on. Audio Ease Speakerphone 2 $459.00. Shit! :yow:

I'm going to have to get it. This tool will be all over my project. Dam this is an expensive hobby. (for me that is)

Thanks for the heads up dude! It looks awesome.

Right on. Audio Ease Speakerphone 2 $459.00. Shit! :yow:

I'm going to have to get it. This tool will be all over my project. Dam this is an expensive hobby. (for me that is)

Thanks for the heads up dude! It looks awesome.

edit: for the record, i have speakerphone 2 (not 1)

yeah no problem

if you use pt, you might want to think twice, it crashes pt pretty easily.

it also crashes cubase, but it works a bit better.

its also a resource hog.

Logic Pro & PT. They don't have a demo. :(

I'm going to ask around to see if anyone is having issues in LP.

this is one of the main reasons i left pro tools. i have very high status clients wanting things like this, and i can't produce it if my program crashes everytime i open the plugin that i paid for...

people don't have time for shit like that. it's gotta be done!

Sampling from movies isn't really meant for this kind of thing. This is clearly conceptual and has a point behind it. The point of sampling a movie a lot of the time is to just reference the movie, sort of like a mate saying "check this film out!" as it were.

Sounds good Joey.

Wow, someone that really uses Antares vocal throat modeling plugin! When I first saw this plugin I thought "lol, kickass" but never knew anyone that had actually used it for anything. Do you use it for making lead vocals better too or just as an fx like in this case?