New to opeth, what should I expect?

Everyone shouldn't tell him that he'll not like it. I mean the first time I heard Opeth I was very inticed but confused, but then again that was the first time I messed around with extreem vocals. But of course he won't fully grasp it but he should enjoy it...

You've got 3 weeks to get all the albums and listen to them at least 6 or 7 times each. Then, on February 24th, you can buy the Lamentations DVD and rewatch them live with an even deeper appreciation.

downvod said:
You are entitled to your opinion but opeth has made enough amazing songs and records to earn the right to never have their name, and the word 'weakest' in the same sentence. While it may be your least favorite album, it is still an amazing album and in no way weak. As with every other song they have done, the songs on deliverance are ALL in their own right, masterpieces.... perfect masterpieces.

I remember about the time Still Life came out and how the Opeth Online community started to really grow. At that time when someone would ask anyone to rank the Opeth albums they were shot down HARD by fans who would say "Each of their albums is equal in quality and should never be ranked." Heck I was one of them. It was a bit after BWP came out that you started to see more and more list. As Opeth became more popular, casual fans begin to grow, and so did the favorite song/album lists.

While I agree that each Opeth song and album is a masterpiece and that none of the albums are in any way "weak" when you reference Opeth work to itself I find some songs and albums of a lesser quality. Now when you are comparing those same songs to say, the songs on the new Metallica album, weak is the last word that comes to mind. When you compare them to Opeth's own albums I do find points that are not as engaging....but that is for me. I don't by into the idea that someone is 100% brilliant 100% of the time.

nicely put foxdvd.

I'm sure the band would agree also. When they rate their albums/songs, they have some that they feel aren't as good as others. And since we all such huge, obsessive fans, we feel that we are basically as good as Opeth members ourselves, and therefore can rate albums the same as Mike/Peter/Lopez/Mendez can..

Doh!