Opeth Support Acts

How good are Opeth Support Acts you have seen?

• They made Opeth look like gods of metal.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I've seen worse.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Well worth watching.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • The 2nd best band in the world ;)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Kicked Opeth's ass over backwards.

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

pete5

New Metal Member
Mar 23, 2004
I'm seeing Opeth tonight in Sydney. Supported by Dungeon.

I'd like to hear some opinions on some of the bands that have supported Opeth in the past, were they good, crappy, what style, etc.

In particular, who saw Opeth play with Virgin Black? What were they like?

:) I'll be replying to this tomorrow

Well, I saw them play with Porcupine Tree which was awesome, and Devil Fucker and Moonspell which was pretty gay, though Moonspell was atleast bearable.

pete5 said:
I'm seeing Opeth tonight in Sydney. Supported by Dungeon.

I'd like to hear some opinions on some of the bands that have supported Opeth in the past, were they good, crappy, what style, etc.

In particular, who saw Opeth play with Virgin Black? What were they like?

:) I'll be replying to this tomorrow

Beyond The Embrace was the best supporting band I've seen them play with, folllowed closely by porcupine tree (although it was in a completly different climate) and finally moonspell wasnt bad, devil faggot sucked terribly (i'm sure you were expecting that)

I saw Opeth on their last two US tours, first with Porcupine Tree and second with Devil Driver and Moonspell. PT fit the bill alot better than the other bands the second time around. Because of that tour, I got a few PT albums and they are pretty good, nice chill music.

Porcupine Tree was amazing.. though I remember them calling that tour a "Double Header", so I don't think you can count PT as a support act, honestly.

There was some goth rock band that supported them for their Deliverance tour.. though I don't remember for the life of me the name of it.. I dug them though, simply because I really like the more mellow sound of that sort of music.

The only good opening bands that I've seen are Porcupine Tree, and they are incredible, with Lacuna Coil in a distant second. Every other band I've seen open for Opeth has really sucked, like Devil Driver, Tapping the Vein, and I didn't really care that much for Paradise Lost or Moonspell. Oh well, it's just more time to drink at the bar.

I voted for well worth watching. I've only seen moonspell and devildriver but I bet porcupine tree live was awesome and well worth the watch

The last time Opeth came over here they were supported by Alchemist, who of course are awesome, and Flesh Mechanic, who weren't really Opeth's style, but suprisingly good nonetheless.

porcupine tree, in my opinion, put on a better show than opeth, just in pure entertainment value. but that was the damnation set, so its a different feeling anyhow. to bid you farewell blew my sack apart though, so that was amazing. Beyond the embrace fucking rule and i saw them again recently in boston. They played some new stuff and it sounded pretty cool, so the new album should be close to if not better than Against the Elements.

I saw Novembre and Katatonia around the 01-Dec-06 in Hamburg's Logo, where Mikael had lost his voice and some members from the other bands sung some songs with opeth. that was quite funny! Peter had to do all the blabla between the songs and Mikael played guitar and moved his lips for the audience so that they could sing the clean parts.

Then I heard Madder Mortem in Hamburg's Schlachthof (I'm not sure) on 03-Feb-28 while hanging out near the bar and looking for some merchandise. Then Mike appeared there in a funny jacket.

This gig was such a amazing experience for me that I made this:

<---

The third time I saw them at WithFullForce '03 festival in Germany. The support Bands were cool too ;-)! Unfortunately they had to cancel the signing sessions 6 hours before the gig because they stuck in traffic at the Autobahn!
But suddenly Frost (Satyricon) appeared at the scene. He had no fun answering the questions people around me asking him.

I like Virgin Black and Extol more than Opeth, those three are completly different types of music though so it's difficult to say who's better. VB has the best vocals by far though. Extol is an amazing band, Burial is a must have CD for melodic death fans. I think that musically Extol and VB are superior, but Opeth have a cool sound and I enjoy listning to them.

first time i saw opeth was with praetoria, tapping the vein, and paradise lost. all excpet paretoria were pretty sweet...
then PT... although opeth was opening for them. pretty sweet too.
and the latest was with moonspell and devildriver. both acts were much better then i expected, and put on a nice show. id see them again.

Dungeon are gunna save the world man!!
I give the singer special credit for his goblet of rock!!!!!

Mad show at the enmore, exactly like the trocadero show including banter! :)

I wish that I could see Virgin Black live. Their last album “Elegant and Dying” was really good. I am sure that they are really theatrical live.

Well, I saw them a month or two ago with Devil Driver and Moonspell.

Moonspell was good. However, Devil Driver didn’t fit into the show at all. I thought that they fucking sucked. The lead singer was obnoxious and annoying. Whenever someone screamed “Devil Driver sucked” the lead singer said something retarded like “you fucking pussy. All of these mother fuckers over here could beat your ass!” It was just stupid. I haven’t heard their CD or anything, but from what I can tell from seeing them live they are nothing to write home about musically. Especially when compared to the great Opeth, who just blew them away within the first couple of seconds that they came onto the stage.