What Style Should Opeth Move Forward with?

Which Style Should Opeth Progress With?

• Heavy Death Metal

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Soft Melody Compositions

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

Estimation

NOT Estimate :D
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Lets hear your opinions:

With Opeth delivering Two very different sides of their Musical tastes, which do you think they should try and enhance forward?
The Heavy Death Metal Songs?
or
The Soft Melodic Songs?

i know some people will say "wait to hear damnation first" but we have all heard the soft, melodic songs eg: Harvest, Face of Melinda, which style do you think makes Opeth stand out?

I think they should stick to death metal. Dont get me wrong face of melinda, harvest, credence,etc. are good but not enough to leave the death metal opeth we all love.

This is a rediculous poll, and I refuse to answer. The beauty of Opeth is the ability to combine both of these styles into one fluid composition. To lose either of those elements and go off in one direction would be to lose that which makes them so special.

You should at least put a third option:

3. 'They should continue to be Opeth.'

:D

Apathy: AMEN!

It's the fusion and playoff between the two styles (though each style encompasses so many more) that makes Opeth unique.

Damnation will be unlike any progressive rock album anyone's ever heard. It's Opeth - no labels or definitions needed.

NP: King Crimson - some song I don't know the name of but is undoubtedly good :D

well i think the album after damnation should bring back the metal and the death vocals but also be heavily influenced by what they did on damnation...but i can't really elaborate too much since i haven't heard damnation

so i guess not really any of the above

I agree with COnsiderateApathy's comment.

However, if I had to choose, I'd go for the melodic songs.

Stuff like A Fair Judgement, Credence, To Bid You Farewell and the middle section of Black Rose Immortal.....magic.

And they can write songs like " twilight is my moose"
and " the drapery smells like cod fish"

or how about " 'arvest"

or even " black rose unemployment"

Da wife left me fer a moose .. since the cod fish is all gone we stupid newfs is all on welfare .. can't jig nar cod in da winter time cause too much ice in da arbour so we all goes on unemployment ..

I hate it here ... god damn fucking hicks ..

All they care for ...da misses .. da fish ... da warf .. da bay.. how tick da ice is ... da ski-doo ... do moose... da rabbits .. da government ..

Fucking god damn ..anyway .. that's beside(s) the point .

Originally posted by warsofwinter
And they can write songs like " twilight is my moose"
and " the drapery smells like cod fish"

or how about " 'arvest"

or even " black rose unemployment"

Da wife left me fer a moose .. since the cod fish is all gone we stupid newfs is all on welfare .. can't jig nar cod in da winter time cause too much ice in da arbour so we all goes on unemployment ..

I hate it here ... god damn fucking hicks ..

All they care for ...da misses .. da fish ... da warf .. da bay.. how tick da ice is ... da ski-doo ... do moose... da rabbits .. da government ..

Fucking god damn ..anyway .. that's beside(s) the point .

:lol:

Originally posted by Estimation
Lets hear your opinions:

With Opeth delivering Two very different sides of their Musical tastes, which do you think they should try and enhance forward?
The Heavy Death Metal Songs?
or
The Soft Melodic Songs?

I liked the melodic metal songs on Orchid and Morningrise most of all.

To Bid You Farewell...

Originally posted by COnsiderateApathy
This is a rediculous poll, and I refuse to answer. The beauty of Opeth is the ability to combine both of these styles into one fluid composition. To lose either of those elements and go off in one direction would be to lose that which makes them so special.

Agreed. How about: BOTH! Their strength is in their ability to blend both of these aspects together. THAT's what makes them stand out, not one or the other.

Originally posted by COnsiderateApathy

My thoughts exactly....

personally I think they should mix their two eras. I'd love to see some Morningrise styled elements in their future music without sacraficing the new. It would add to the variation within a single track. It would be interesting at least...