new to ulver..

nergal_S

St. Anger around my neck.
Nov 20, 2002
Los Angles
Visit site
Hi i am new to ulver, i heard from a freind that they do blast beats with cow bells and that they recorded a few cds in the forest. I like bands like Abigor, summoning, nargaroth, mayhem what Ulver cds should i pick up?

nergal_S said:
Hi i am new to ulver, i heard from a freind that they do blast beats with cow bells and that they recorded a few cds in the forest. I like bands like Abigor, summoning, nargaroth, mayhem what Ulver cds should i pick up?

It seems that you're a black metal lover!
So you must pick up "Bergtatt" and "Nattens Madrigal" .. The only 2 black metal full-length albums they've ever released.
"Nattens~" is the rumour of recording in forest... because the sound quality is too... too... (-_-)
you must try :) :)

Bergtatt and Nattens, yes. Their other stuff is not black metal, but is still amazing. :)

I don't know what the cow bells are all about, but definitely get Bergtatt as it's probably the best black metal album ever released. It's more of the folky epic black metal sound, instead of raw evil (which would best fit with Nattens Madrigal). Kveldsjanger is also very organic and Scandinavian in approach, but it is mostly acoustic folk based music. But... in my opinion, Bergtatt is by far the best of the early Ulver work, but they got more consistently awesome once they switched to electronics. Depending on my mood, I will say that either Bergtatt or Themes is the best Ulver album, but Themes, Perdition City, Metamorphasis, Silence Teaches You How to Sing, Silencing the Singing, Lyckantropen Themes, and A Quick Fix of Melancholy all add up to a body of work that is far more inspiring and incredible than early Ulver. But if you abhor almost purely electronic music (especially post-Themes work), then I don't know if you'll like these releases.