New Tori Amos album arrives!

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
And as promised, it features a cover of "Raining Blood" which sounds very strange indeed. Not being a Slayer fan and thus never having heard the original, I won't try to compare the two. Whatever your thoughts on the Cornflake Girl and her unique style of music, let's give her some credit for turning Eminem's "97 Bonnie & Clyde" into something that sends shivers down the spine...

W

Im gonna track down a copy of it on mp3 tonight then, its safe to presume its nothing like the original though Wrathy :)

What other covers did she do? Anything more extreme than Raining Blood?
You should get an mp3 of Raining blood by Slayer to compare them Wrathchild :D

(Wrathy struggles down from his computer desk to retrieve the CD cover)

Tracklisting is as follows:

The Velvet Underground: New Age
Eminem: '97 Bonnie & Clyde
The Stranglers: Strange Little Girls
???: Enjoy The Silence
10CC: I'm Not In Love
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions: Rattlesnakes
Tom Waits: Time
Neil Young: Heart of Gold
The Boomtown Rats: I Don't Like Mondays
The Beatles: Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Slayer: Raining Blood
Joe Jackson: Real Men

So far I like this one a lot more than her last two albums, though it seems ironic that she's returned to her "signature sound" of 92-96 with a bunch of songs she didn't write :confused:

W

Gees slayer looks out of place with all those other bands she covered! (Though that was probably the point in the first place)

Maybe she returned to her signature sound to try and make the covers her own, the best way to do that would be to play in the style that people most associate with her.
Just like with Nevermore, they do a version of Sounds Of Silence that is nothing like the original (its great too, get it on mp3 if you get bored sometime, you will be surprised!)

I've just given it a listen and I've got to say I'm a little dissapointed with it. The Eminem track came out well, as did the Boomtown Rats and the Joe Jackson tracks. But the Beatles track suffered a bit I think. And nobody has ever done a Tom Waits somg any justice at all.

Well, i downloaded the track I laughed out loud when I heard it (true!) Not because it was bad, but because its SO different to the original, you would be laughing too if you had heard the slayer version wrathy :D I kept waiting for Tom Araya to come on and scream she was doing it wrong :)
Though it was a bit hard to understand her singing, it was strange, if i didnt know the words I wouldnt have been able to tell what they were. It was obviously intended to be that way as ive heard her singing before and she is rather good at it. It must have been part of that "males viewpoint/mysogony" thingo she was trying to bring attention to? :confused:

Anyways, Slayer 1, Tori 0 :)
(Dont take this as an attack on tori, im just being my usualy stupid self :) )

Spawny, see if you can find "Blood Roses" and "Professional Widow" from Tori's *very* dark 96 album Boys For Pele. They're not metal at all, but I'm sure you'll like them for their lyrics and creepy as hell harpsichord parts. "Professional Widow" has been the victim of much careless remixing and doof-doofing, so make sure you get the original version.

Boys For Pele is described by some friends of mine as the perfect break-up album. Since I've never been involved with anyone and thus never been the victim of a break-up I can't testify either way. Still a damn good CD though, with all the anger and misanthropy of Slipknot, but with just a little more style and finesse.

W

Ok, ill download them from audiogalaxy tonight and let you know what i think :)

MMMMMMMMMM....Misanthropy, where all the best music comes from :D (OK, thats not strictly true....)