New Trivium Song

bpcrshooter15

Nov 13, 2008
Shattering The Skies Above

There's also a Sepultura cover.

This is Trivium's first recording with their new drummer. They went back to the drop-d Ascendancy tuning, while screaming in the verse/singing in the chorus like Ascendancy as well, with no so-called "Hetfield" vocals anymore. Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty good. I lost intrest for the last 2 albums, but this one sounds like it has potential.

Just to clarify, this won't be on the next album. However, this song is supposed to give a pretty good feel for what the next album will be like. This song is really growing on me.

first time i heared it i was like "wtf?" cause suddenly they go back to ascendancy. which i dont mind, i'm one of the 3 people on earth who likes all 4 albums.
but blast beats? i dunno....guess after hearing it a view times i'll dig it...was the same with shogun.
i just think its not that of a great song that it's worth to be related with god of war...a pitty though.
this game needs some better songs than that, imo.

back to all the trivium haterade, and no one can quite make up their minds as to exactly which album sounds like the other. The new songs has the same mood and atmosphere as Shogun, but has bits from every previous album, which every album has done. And as every album goes by they have bits from previous albums, add something new and the overall sound/atmosphere matures a little more.

But to analyze the whole thing. Most trivium haters hate them because of their image and genre association of ember and ascendancy, and then found reason to hate them because of the 80's hair metal style change of the crusade and James Hetfield vocals. But there were still haters when they turned around, got back to their old sound but at the same time showed has the band has progressed, more clean vocals, less screaming, no Hetfield vocals, more original content (and not copyright questionable material). Yet after all this change and transformation, the haters still hang on to anything they can to hate them although they fit the same mold as all the other bands they listen to.

But look at how much they have actually matured and how the band has grown

2005:
Trivium2005.jpg

2009:
Trivium2009.jpg

Seems to me that they earned their right of redemption among the haters, and the next album will be an even bigger step each new album always has been.

Last edited by a moderator:
People calling them "The next Metallica" only brought unnecessary hatred. Beyond that, I don't understand why they get so much vague criticism. I certainly don't see how this song changes people's minds on Trivium. They went back to Ascendancy a little, but it still sounds just like Trivium.

I say to each his own. I do, however, think they get bashed for their image more than anything, which I really don't understand. They don't wear corpse paint or don't feel the need to be pissed off at the world 24/7, they openly admit they're geeks. They spend a lot of time on their forum, they play video games a lot, and they play metal that they enjoy. I'm sure that's not too radically different from anyone here.

People calling them "The next Metallica" only brought unnecessary hatred. Beyond that, I don't understand why they get so much vague criticism. I certainly don't see how this song changes people's minds on Trivium. They went back to Ascendancy a little, but it still sounds just like Trivium.

I say to each his own. I do, however, think they get bashed for their image more than anything, which I really don't understand. They don't wear corpse paint or don't feel the need to be pissed off at the world 24/7, they openly admit they're geeks. They spend a lot of time on their forum, they play video games a lot, and they play metal that they enjoy. I'm sure that's not too radically different from anyone here.

people calling them the next Metallica was only because Matt had make a joke about them being the next Metallica in an interview, but went on to say that Metallica had influenced them a lot growing up and that they wanted show that and would hope to have the same type of legacy as Metallica has. This of course was taken by the haters (death metal kids to be exact) who hated trivium because of their emo/hardcore look and sound and they were stepping away from it, of course these basement dwellers attached on to a new reason to hate by singling out trivium as riff steelers even though they would deny the fact that this phenomenon happens to every band.

Yes most metal musicians will hold their dislike for trivium because they believe that Ascendancy, while having a good production, is overall cheesy (subject to opinion, ex: I think Avenged Sevenfold music is cheesy). The critics will not get over albums that happened over 5 years ago and make the judgment of the band now that they are adults now and have experience under their belts. When they started they were a bunch of jr high kids writing music because it was a past time for them, got huge when they were in high school, they were still kids.

Don't we all have projects that we did in High School that we are embarrassed of, did we not grow to write better less cheesy music? Yes, and trivium or any other band should be treated no differently.

There is nothing to bad about them now, they have a very conservative image for a metal band, they aren't angry at the world and talk sing about human dismemberment for sadistic pleasure (like all death metal), wear corpse pain, or hail satan, however black metal bands and death metal bands are highly revered here, while trivium's image and sound is more down to earth and realistic from the majority of metal bands that are so popular in the metal world.