THANATOSCHIZO - InsomniousNightLift
CARRIER FLUX - In Waste
GRAVE DIGGER - Rheingold
KRONICALLY INKORECT - Demo
MORBID ANGEL - Domination
EIDOLON - Nightmare World

Enjoy and feel free to comment.

:Spin:

I was very interested in that Axix of Perdidtion review. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy it. I'm very surprised Dark One didn't compare them to Anaal Nathrakh. They obviously have a lot in common. Axis is probably a little more on the death metal side of things. Their riffs resemble Autopsy rather than Mayhem.

4/10 didn't surprise me. One of the guys from Axis told me reivews were completely split. People either loved it or hated it. I think I would love it. I don't consider Carpathian Forrest and Emperor to be brutal compared to a lot of other stuff out there. I'm glad Dark One is getting exposed to this type of stuff. Hopefully he will check out Anaal Nathrak. They blow away Axis in terms of songwriting, but they maintain that extremely sickening sound and brutality.

I also liked that Domination review. I also love that album, but not as much as Blessed are the Sick.

Then we'll call it "metal with a blackened feel that happens to be sickening and brutal."

I know what you mean, though.

There is this new wave of music ranging from Aborym to Anaal Nathrakh to Axis of Perdition (I think there are even some that don't start with "A") that use basic black metal ideals, like repetition in riffs and ugly, atmospheric production, but they also combine that with a totally un-black-metal sense of industrial filth and hatred.

I like it, but I don't know that it is actually black metal in the "old school" sense. I guess that is where this term "necro" keeps popping up.

npearce said:
I was very interested in that Axix of Perdidtion review. I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy it. I'm very surprised Dark One didn't compare them to Anaal Nathrakh. They obviously have a lot in common. Axis is probably a little more on the death metal side of things. Their riffs resemble Autopsy rather than Mayhem.

Actually, I've never heard Anaal Nathrakh (Cool band name taken from chanting in the movie 'Excalibur'), but I'm sure I'll check it out sooner or later. Yeah, there's definitely a deathy vibe going on there, but a black vibe as well. They actually list the style as industrial/black on the website and all, so I tried to incorporate that. But there's definitely a bit of an "older school" brutality to the sound.

npearce said:
4/10 didn't surprise me. One of the guys from Axis told me reivews were completely split. People either loved it or hated it. I think I would love it. I don't consider Carpathian Forrest and Emperor to be brutal compared to a lot of other stuff out there. I'm glad Dark One is getting exposed to this type of stuff. Hopefully he will check out Anaal Nathrak. They blow away Axis in terms of songwriting, but they maintain that extremely sickening sound and brutality.

Cool. I guess I'm in the category of having "hated" it, mostly because of all the incomprehensibility (is that a word?) going on there. Much of it is pure noise, unless you have a very, very trained ear for this type of style, which it certainly seems you do npearce, so yeah, it might be worth taking a flier on for ya. Well, even though those other bands I mentioned are much more on the black metal side of things, I'm sure many people would consider their brands of musical mayhem to be "brutal", certainly not in a classic death metal sense, but in terms of speed and sick riffing accompanied by hellish growls and so forth.

npearce said:
I also liked that Domination review. I also love that album, but not as much as Blessed are the Sick.

I'm absolutely with you on this one. Blessed are the Sick rules.

That's cool that you picked up on where Anaal Nathrakh's name came from. It took me forever to figure that out.

From what I have heard, Anaal Nathrakh is in a totally different category than Axis of Perdition. Anaal likes to write songs that are actually diciferable. They both have very harsh sounds and vocals, though. I'd highly recommend you check out Anaal Nathrakh 'The Codex Necro'. I think you will like it.

npearce said:
Thanks. I was predicting that I was going to take some flack for that one, but so far so good. Blessed are the Sick is my second favorite. :Spin:

Dark One said:
I guess I'm in the category of having "hated" it, mostly because of all the incomprehensibility (is that a word?) going on there. Much of it is pure noise, unless you have a very, very trained ear for this type of style...

Based on your "scary music" thread, have you got any purchases lined up from Southern Lord by the way?

No Earth here.

I'm not buying any CD's until I get moved (in 2 weeks). I don't want things to be forwarded. I don't know how many times I lost out on Thorr's Hammer to people bidding at least $20 on it.