New Xasthur

polarity

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2004
Has anyone heard it yet? I'm downloading it now, and the few tracks I've listened to sound rather impressive. It's very much the kind of music to be expected from the band; droning, ambient black metal, but I prefer this to the previous work I've heard. Does anyone who has heard the full album have any comments? I'm rather interested in this release.

Wait a thread worth reading? Can this be possible!?

Anyways I haven't heard this album yet, a little strapped for cash, but the second I get a job I'm gonna order it (as well as the new Levaithan). I have both "Nocturnal Posioning" and "The Funeral of Being". Xasthur is defintely some of the most dark and passionate black metal out there today.

Still haven't heard the album, but I've been looking around at Xasthur-related stuff and I notice a number of people state that Xasthur is recombinant. Obviously, there is a large Burzum influence in the music, but I don't really see this as decreasing its value. Although, when dissecting the music technically, it appears to consist of little which hasn't been done before, somehow Xasthur manages to be emotive and passionate in a way which many black metal bands are incapable of; something I'm having trouble explaining, given this aforementioned lack of any particular outstanding features. Any ideas?

Guardian of Darkness said:
My problem with Xasthur is the so-called 'emotion' - he seems to wallow in a sense of self-defeat.

And the problem with this is..?

The new album Telepathic With The Deceased is awesome. It gets better each song throughout the album and tons of eerie subtleties that will go unnoticed if not payong attention. The artwork is an added bonus as well.

polarity said:
And the problem with this is..?

Well it's a counter-productive trait of Christianity for one thing, which isn't something BM should be a vehicle for expressing. I'll be more simple though and say that it's whiny.

Regardless, I don't really dislike Xasthur that much tbh, I just think they're way overhyped.

The way I see it is he's looking into himself and seeing the horrors of this modern judeo/chritsian world that are living within him. They live in all of us and cannot be denied. I don't think black metal is about denying your weakness, for that in itself is a monsterous weakness. The best way to deal with weakness is to accept it's existance and work upon defeating it. I believe Xasthur is the vehicle for (forget his real name) to accept these weakness. Naturally the strength that comes from the vicotries is not going to be something that he feels the desire to cleanse from himself, and therefore is not contained in the music. Part of what makes Xathur so unique is how intraverted it is and more to the point its focus or recognizing these judeo/chritain monsters that live in each of us. It is a new and unique take on black metal and in my opinion he has made several solid releases and seems to be one step away from creating something brillant. Hopfully the new release will be it...