New York Dolls...... why?!

Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
With 2 dead drummers and a dead junkie guitar player how can you have a New York Dolls reunion??!!! No Thunders = no Dolls!!!!!!! At least it's only for 1 show, thank God. This is almost as bad as the Thin Lizzy reunion scam from last year. Call these things a "tribute show" or something, just not a reunion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NEW YORK DOLLS Singer: IZZY STRADLIN Will Do A Really Good Job At Reunion Show - Apr. 17, 2004

Former NEW YORK DOLLS singer David Johansen recently spoke to Rolling Stone magazine about the prospect of ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Izzy Stradlin filling in for late axeman Johnny Thunders at NEW YORK DOLLS' upcoming reunion show at London's Meltdown Festival in June.

"Izzy's a sharp guy, and he broke his teeth on our tunes, so I think he'll do a really good job," Johansen said. "I don't want to have to turn this thing into marathon rehearsals for just one show — hopefully everyone will do their homework and we can all just get together and throw it on the stage."

Johansen told the magazine that he is looking forward to playing with the rest of the guys again. "We grew up on the streets, we didn't go to college, so it's like a fraternity, you know? It will be like getting back together with the cats from the skull and bones and seeing what's cooking," he said. "When I decided to commit to this, I kind of made a mental snapshot of it, and I think it's going to be good."

I didn't much care for them to begin with, they kinda had this underground reputation, they weren't originators by any means. I remember that Lizzy "tribute" thing that you're referring to. That's tainting the band's legacy, kinds like KISS is doing touring with paint & anly having two original members on board. How long do you think before they have a Ramones "tribute tour?!"

sixxswine said:
they kinda had this underground reputation, they weren't originators by any means.

Have to disagree with you there Swine. If you're not into older punk then you may not appreciate them, but they were a very important part of the New York (and 70's overall) underground scene. They were the link between the proto punk of the MC5, Velvet Underground and the Stooges with the CBGB's scene of the mid and late 70's. Hell, they even had a hand in the history of the English punk scene. Before Malcolm McLaren put together the Sex Pistols he tried his hand at managing The Dolls, he took the lessons he learned from them and made the Pistols famous.

sixxswine said:
I remember that Lizzy "tribute" thing that you're referring to. That's tainting the band's legacy, kinds like KISS is doing touring with paint & anly having two original members on board. How long do you think before they have a Ramones "tribute tour?!"

Yeah, that Thin Lizzy thing made me sick! Don't care if they were the best sounding band ever, it was wrong. Phil's dead, therefore Thin Lizzy is dead.

And as for a Ramones "reunion"..... NEVER!!!!!!! I've read that Johnny says he will never play again, even sold all of his guitars! Plus anyone stupid enough to sing for a Ramones reunion would most likely be murdered on stage, and rightly so. :) However a get together of Johnny, Marky and CJ playing bass AND singing would be interesting. I can't think of any other way it could work. I think the hardcore fans would accept CJ singing (since he sang several songs on the last couple albums) but like I said, anyone else would be taking their life in their own hands. :) Either way I hope it never happens!!!

Greeno said:
Have to disagree with you there Swine. If you're not into older punk then you may not appreciate them, but they were a very important part of the New York (and 70's overall) underground scene. They were the link between the proto punk of the MC5, Velvet Underground and the Stooges with the CBGB's scene of the mid and late 70's. Hell, they even had a hand in the history of the English punk scene. Before Malcolm McLaren put together the Sex Pistols he tried his hand at managing The Dolls, he took the lessons he learned from them and made the Pistols famous.

Hell yes! :headbang: