Newest Mix Aurorae (sup2.0 Boogie)

Low end seems overbearing, and the guitars are quite muffled. I like the atmosphere you have going though.

Low end seems overbearing, and the guitars are quite muffled. I like the atmosphere you have going though.

the guitars being muffled probably has to do with how i mic'd the amp, im in the process of re-tracking guitars but i think i might have broken my D.I. box :(

low end as in subs? i tried to high pass everything.. maybe im passing to low? kick is at 60 bass at 65? maybe its the keys... im mixing on cans so thats probably why i dont here alot of the low end...

Yeah guitars are a bit low/muffled like mentioned, and I'm not really a fan of the kick sample. The lead guitars (middle and panned ones) sound great though.

Apart from that it's really good. I really dig the actual song as well.

Yeah guitars are a bit low/muffled like mentioned, and I'm not really a fan of the kick sample. The lead guitars (middle and panned ones) sound great though.

Apart from that it's really good. I really dig the actual song as well.

no one likes this superior kick lol! but everytime i put another kick on it it doesnt sound right... just out of place compared to this one.

any advice on how to clear up these guitars after poorley micing them(it was one of my first attempts)

I actually like the kick sound for this.

I think your vocal reverb/delay is destroying your whole mix, as well as the vocals having too much lower mid content. You have some pretty good source sounds on this recording, and a lot of well performed tracks.

I suggest starting from scratch with just the drums and bass (which the bass is a bit overbearing), and mixing from there. You need to start with a solid foundation and then build it up from there.

If you need some help, or need someone to reamp guitars for this, PM me.

I actually like the kick sound for this.

I think your vocal reverb/delay is destroying your whole mix, as well as the vocals having too much lower mid content. You have some pretty good source sounds on this recording, and a lot of well performed tracks.

I suggest starting from scratch with just the drums and bass (which the bass is a bit overbearing), and mixing from there. You need to start with a solid foundation and then build it up from there.

If you need some help, or need someone to reamp guitars for this, PM me.

thanks man this post is what i needed, as far as reamping goes i already promised guitarhack the job once i was finished re-tracking but i think my little samson s direct may have taken a shit.

i keep hearing things about how your suppost to do vocal effects... how exactly do you bus it? i just send the output of the vocals to a different bus with everything on it. eq,comp,verb,delay,then a boost/limiter.

should i be doing it differently?

The vocal effect generally is on an effects bus, or aux. Then you use the group channel/track the vocals are on and bring up the specific aux for the effect that you want to use.

You generally do not want the verb/delay to be affected heavily by the limiter. That may have caused what is going on in your mix.

ok i updated the mix again with proper vocal aux bussing(so i think at least)..

i dont think everything is balanced perfectly.. but its better than the last mix.

You need to vary velocities on the hi-hat more.

The kick needs a bit more definition and a little less flab.

I would get some more compression on that snare, remove a bit more bottom microphone from the mix in the process.

Twenty-fold improvement since the first mix.

You need to vary velocities on the hi-hat more.

The kick needs a bit more definition and a little less flab.

I would get some more compression on that snare, remove a bit more bottom microphone from the mix in the process.

Twenty-fold improvement since the first mix.

thanks dude! im glad to know its getting better!

on the kicks should i be hp father up to get rid of the flab? or subtracting low mids? im messing with snare compression right now. i will post another sample tommorow as i need some shut-eye. thank you for your help thus far! its not going unappreciated.

cool! The intro reminds me so much of the Neverending Story !

It sounds really good but I'm not to fond of the Fieldy-like edge on the bassguitar. There are other better ways to make the bass protrude more in the mix.

cool! The intro reminds me so much of the Neverending Story !

It sounds really good but I'm not to fond of the Fieldy-like edge on the bassguitar. There are other better ways to make the bass protrude more in the mix.

haha the never ending story is a pretty epic tale!

as far as the bass guitar goes, i have never really mixed one in before. this was just the direct track from his sans amp 2 channel pedal.. i used one of slates tips about using a chorus from an aux track and highpassing after it.. maybe i should take it off... i have tried a couple of bass vst's but i suck at tweaking them.. they all kinda sounded like shit to me. what would you recommend me doing for a mix like this?

I keep saying compress the bass more and you're not doing it :lol:

You need to squash the damn thing so that when notes are played on the higher strings, it doesn't pop out and hit you in the face. You can barely hear the low strings, though. This has been one of the biggest problems to me from step one.

The sansamp has a built in cab simulator. All you [should] need is that raw track with maybe a little eq.

You can make a copy of that track, add a vst amplifier to it and add a little grind, then highpass it pretty high (800hz-ish) and tuck it in under your bass track.

Definitely get rid of the chorus.

Do this:

Mute everything aside from drums; listen to the mix. Add bass; listen to the mix, etc. Keep doing it until you discover what is clouding it up or what is sticking out too much and tame it :)

I keep saying compress the bass more and you're not doing it :lol:

You need to squash the damn thing so that when notes are played on the higher strings, it doesn't pop out and hit you in the face. You can barely hear the low strings, though. This has been one of the biggest problems to me from step one.

The sansamp has a built in cab simulator. All you [should] need is that raw track with maybe a little eq.

You can make a copy of that track, add a vst amplifier to it and add a little grind, then highpass it pretty high (800hz-ish) and tuck it in under your bass track.

Definitely get rid of the chorus.

Do this:

Mute everything aside from drums; listen to the mix. Add bass; listen to the mix, etc. Keep doing it until you discover what is clouding it up or what is sticking out too much and tame it :)

dude i totally have been trying to compress the bass more, i think im just going about it the incorrect way..

thresh at -50, ratio 8.1, 50 attack, 150 release. to me -50 was squashing it! im going to try the copied track vst thing.

dude i totally have been trying to compress the bass more, i think im just going about it the incorrect way..

thresh at -50, ratio 8.1, 50 attack, 150 release. to me -50 was squashing it! im going to try the copied track vst thing.

:OMG:

Slap a limiter on it and reduce the out ceiling to chop off the peaks. If that doesn't work, whatever bass was playied is alllll fucked up :lol: