Newest Production: Deathcore / Dubstep Combo

Pman

Feb 18, 2006
UK
www.facebook.com
New production me and my vocalist decided to try.
Deathcore with a dubstep section.
This is our first attempt at both genres, see what you guys think!

Drums are my first ever attempt at using superior drummer, and used some additional samples.
Vocals are double tracked through a U87>goldenage pre.
I did about 4 different attempts doing guitars but got an ok sound in the end from a combination of 2 sessions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad!!! But is there bass guitar? I hear bass only when woble hits, or maybe thats because I just waked up.

Cheers bro. There is a bass guitar but it sounded unnatural when I tried to volume match the bass guitar to the dubstep bass. It was either too much bass guitar on the whole track or too little bass under the dubstep part, so the drop in low end is pretty noticeable before and after the WUBWUB.

I'm not really a fan of genre splicing generally, but this works pretty well. Not sure how many dubsteppers you'll convince to listen to deathcore tho...

The dubstep part fitted the song better than what I thought. But I think it should be a few dB´s lower because is overpowering the death metal (I mean the band). Still, sounds good!

The dubstep part fitted the song better than what I thought. But I think it should be a few dB´s lower because is overpowering the death metal (I mean the band). Still, sounds good!

Cheers bro! Yeah in hindsight it is too loud; I just wanted it to be as powerful and surprising as possible! :lol:

sorry man, i generally believe i'd love a properly done combo of deathcore and dubstep but the wobble parts just sound really glued on, a bit out of place and kinda boring too as there's pretty much the one wobble sound and that's the "dubstep" in the song. it sounds like it's there to act as, well more like a gimmick than an actual, honest attempt to really mix metal and dubstep.

the song was pretty good, but i'd prefer it without the wobbles. get a bit more going on there and it might turn out great.

sorry man, i generally believe i'd love a properly done combo of deathcore and dubstep but the wobble parts just sound really glued on, a bit out of place and kinda boring too as there's pretty much the one wobble sound and that's the "dubstep" in the song. it sounds like it's there to act as, well more like a gimmick than an actual, honest attempt to really mix metal and dubstep.

the song was pretty good, but i'd prefer it without the wobbles. get a bit more going on there and it might turn out great.

Haha it's cool man. We didnt really spend any time 'writing' the song or the dubstep as u can tell, just a completely mindless attempt at having one then the other in the same song. I'm not really great with reason or can make dubstep to any decent level otherwise a lot more effort would have probably gone into it.
Have you had any attempts at making any dubstep or anything yourself?
I saw in that djentstep thread you saying you were making or intending to make a song with both genres.

Haha it's cool man. We didnt really spend any time 'writing' the song or the dubstep as u can tell, just a completely mindless attempt at having one then the other in the same song. I'm not really great with reason or can make dubstep to any decent level otherwise a lot more effort would have probably gone into it.
Have you had any attempts at making any dubstep or anything yourself?
I saw in that djentstep thread you saying you were making or intending to make a song with both genres.

i think it's better to rather try to use the sonic elements of a dubstep song on metal music, than to directly mix the two together and force it all to 140bpm, as dubstep often consists of pretty much just two different parts of which the latter one is often the reason the song exists and the former one is just preparing you for the crash. that's not something to write home about unless you're at a club banging the shit out of it while getting shitfaced(which is awesome).

what i'm trying to say is, dubstep can blow your mind sonically, but my mind will be blown if dubstep will ever even slightly surprise me musically - if you'll reinforce a truly good metal piece with great electronic elements that fit in, it will be golden.

i haven't got any dubstep and metal combos yet, but i've been working on some dubstep. here's a quick clip, it's from a work in progress so i haven't worked on the actual mix almost at all yet, but you get the point.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2314572/jytää/dbst3_clip.mp3

hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me any pointers on automating the wobble bass. I use massive for the bass then get the wobble effect by automating the LFO. I have trouble automating it though to how I want it to sound exactly. How can you get complete control over how the bass wobbles? Here is my song to listen to my wobble part. The wobble bass start at 2:14 but feel free to listen to the whole song. Thanks.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=29870

hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me any pointers on automating the wobble bass. I use massive for the bass then get the wobble effect by automating the LFO. I have trouble automating it though to how I want it to sound exactly. How can you get complete control over how the bass wobbles? Here is my song to listen to my wobble part. The wobble bass start at 2:14 but feel free to listen to the whole song. Thanks.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=29870

that sounds like timing problems in the automation. don't know which DAW you're using, but in Logic i nudge the automation curve around a bit if it doesn't sound right. at least for me the timing's gotta be precise, otherwise Massive sounds something like that.

thanks man. I appreciate the response. Could you post a screen shot of your automation? I think that could help.