NEXT TO NONE - A Light In The Dark, ft MAX PORTNOY

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
NEXT TO NONE STREAMING NEW TRACK “YOU ARE NOT ME”

"...Teen prodigy progressive band, Next To None, recently signed to InsideOut for the release of their debut album, A Light In The Dark, on June 30th in North America and June 29th in Europe. The album track “You Are Not Me” is streaming below.

Drummer Max Portnoy had this to say about the track: “”You Are Not Me” is one of our heavier songs that shows more of a modern metal side, it is also probably one of the first songs in prog metal history to feature a beer keg being hit with a bat!"..."

Max Portnoy and guitarist Ryland Holland talk with Metaholic Magazine and AXS.com about the and having drum legend Mike Portnoy produce the record.

p19m53th2m16mt1a78b7ic8s15g44.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I'd have to agree with Kez. Not a huge fan of the metalcore vocals. But their performance at the Haken show was tight, tight, tight.

Its funny, the only exposure to the band I had had before the show was their video they put up on youtube called Fortune Cookie, and the Peruvian Skies cover they did at Prog Nation at Sea. So when they start blazing away with the growlies I was immediately shocked and thrown out of my comfort zone...it took me a while to get back to it.

Its funny, the only exposure to the band I had had before the show was their video they put up on youtube called Fortune Cookie, and the Peruvian Skies cover they did at Prog Nation at Sea. So when they start blazing away with the growlies I was immediately shocked and thrown out of my comfort zone...it took me a while to get back to it.

Yeah, they didn't do themselves any favors with their set list when opening for Haken. They were really solid musicians, but the band's weak link is the vocals, both the growlies and the cleanies, and their very first opening song really exposed that right away. They should have started with a couple of tracks that played up the musicianship.

Yeah, they didn't do themselves any favors with their set list when opening for Haken. They were really solid musicians, but the band's weak link is the vocals, both the growlies and the cleanies, and their very first opening song really exposed that right away. They should have started with a couple of tracks that played up the musicianship.

This album is quite good, even with that weakness accounted for. The playing is phenomenal. They're not one-note either as the terribly pit-in-the-stomach feel of Legacy suggests. However, I wasn't impressed with Social Anxiety or A Lonely Walk. The latter is a category of emotion they haven't learned to fully express yet. And the former is just bad. Think five layers of Portnoy vocals over each other at the beginning.

NEXT TO NONE - TOUR SCHEDULE UPDATED; FOUR SHOWS SUPPORTING FATES WARNING CONFIRMED

Tour dates:

October
3 - Philadelphia, PA - The Legendary Dobbs
6 - Asbury Park, NJ - The Saint
9 - Hartford, CT - The Webster *
10 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium *
13 - Brooklyn, NY - St. Vitus *
16 - Westland, MI - The Token Lounge *
23 - Philadelphia, PA - Bull Shooters Saloon **

November
1 - Allentown, PA - Crocodile Rock ***
8 - Allentown, PA - Chicago Restaurant & Nightlife

* with Fates Warning
** with In The Presence Of Wolves
*** with Escape The Fate

NEXT TO NONE ANNOUNCE DECEMBER TOUR DATES

Tour Dates:

November:
8 - Allentown, PA - Chicago Restaurant & Nightlife

December
4 - Hamden, CT - The Outer Space Ballroom (with In The Presences Of Wolves)
6 - Cambridge, MA - The Middle East (with In The Presences Of Wolves)
9 - New York, NY - Studio at Webster Hall (with Ghost Ship Octavius)
10 - Worcester, MA - Ralph's Diner (with Ghost Ship Octavius)
11 - Philadelphia, PA - Bull Shooters Saloon (with Ghost Ship Octavius)
12 - Binghamton, NY - Eclipse (with Ghost Ship Octavius)
13 - TBA (with Ghost Ship Octavius)
19 - Philadelphia, PA - Bull Shooters Saloon (with The Madeline Haze)
31 - Amityville, NY - Revolution Bar (with Metal Allegiance)

January
1 - Richmond, VA - Canal Club (with The Madeline Haze)