Nice snare samples

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
So.. with all the discussion on how my room is shitty, I took my snare into my bedroom where I track vocals and did some samples there, top and bottom (separate takes but they're pretty much phase-aligned). Not used to that much 300hz in the sound, and it being so much more rounder, so these aren't fantastic (the top was far too 'round', had to use a lot of bottom mic).

57 on both top n bot. This is a bit of processing. Really shouldn't need much more. And I've decided to start naming my samples properly now, isntead of just 'snare samples.zip'

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/AscendantSnare16Nov09.rar

I think you have the same problem I have.....the samples sound too dry only using the close mics. I did several snare samples but they sound always thin and dry. This is one of the reason that made me think to buy Slate samples....I have shitty rooms so if I try to do some kit samples they don't sound awesome at all
It's a fuckin' unpleasant job! :D

I think you have the same problem I have.....the samples sound too dry only using the close mics. I did several snare samples but they sound always thin and dry. This is one of the reason that made me think to buy Slate samples....I have shitty rooms so if I try to do some kit samples they don't sound awesome at all
It's a fuckin' unpleasant job! :D

Slate samples are exactly the same in that regard dude :/ I think its just the nature of a close-mic'd sample. Plus Slate has pretty much integrated the OH into the close-mic sample (either on or off, can't adjust the volume, and he made it mono for some reason..), so its really close-mic and room. Your samples sound sound decent. Slate's are 'good' but have that weird Slate EQ that once you get rid of.. they're not fantastic. Definitely some of the better samples I've used, but not the holy grail, imo.

But yeh.. the one sample I put up that everyone was in love with, was just a close-mic 57 (kinda tubby like this), mixed with a mono overhead, at about equal volumes. Surprising.. but whatever works works.

For the room, Slate said to copy your drum track in a stereo track and use the room stereo mics in that stereo track...but I haven't them yet so I don't know.
I don't consider Slate the holy grail (like sneap samples,etc...) but a pretty good help if you have shitty rooms or difficults with your own samples