Nickelback Here & Now- Productions SLAYS!

^ that for sure, but on the other hand i think chad (think of him whatever you want) is a badass vocalist.

I really enjoyed most of the new record, and I very much dig the production.

And I think that this "hate Nickelback" is just the cool thing to do like when Metallica cut their hair....or when any band gets popular ever. Popularity = a reason to be called a hack. So counter-intuitive.

Been listening to the record from front to back about 5-6 times on my travel to London/UK yesterday and this is my second impression:

a) the songs "grew" on me rather quickly - usually I'd expect more "instant gratification" tracks on an album (like on Silver Side Up). So I like most of the tracks songwriting wise

b) the mix works REALLY well on the Beats HD headphones my girlfriend gave me for my birthday. So I can imagine it's specifically mixed for consumer devices (pc speakers, radios, headphones) and less for balanced systems.

I dont know what the hate is with nickelback i think their a great canadian band :) oh yea be sure to watch them at half time during the grey cup on sunday

fizzinbizzin: The "problem" with Nickelback is that they are extremely commercial and cater to "the common man/woman" (in his late 20s-early 40s (as opposed to pseudo-intellectual, cooler-than-thou teen/twen-hipsters)). They also write great radio ballads with lyrics that are easily understood and tell well-crafted stories (much like country songs). They also sell trillions of records. Their singer looks pretty hideous to alternative people and the rest of the band looks like styled up accountants. They also sing and play very well and sell out stadiums everywhere.

All of the above is frowned up by alternative-, metal-, indie- and other "underground"-fans.

That's where the hate comes from. Nickelback are just better at everything than the bands in those genre. And they even make fun of themselves regularly :D

I was listening to Nickelback on Spotify, so it posted it on my Facebook. A guy I know posted this:
Him: What is wrong with you?
Me: I have many different tastes in music.
Him: Apparently one of those tastes is for utter crap.

*sigh*

I like Nickelback. I do think that a lot of their music is formulaic, and sometimes it sounds like they are "selling out", but I like it anyway. And not all of their songs are like that.

Also, Nickelback introduced me to Randy Staub. I had seen Ermz recommend Randy Staub for good drum sounds in a recent thread, and I saw that he had mixed Nickelback. Had no idea. Nickelback's drum sounds are very good, although I can definitely hear that over-compressed kind of sound.

And I think that this "hate Nickelback" is just the cool thing to do like when Metallica cut their hair....or when any band gets popular ever. Popularity = a reason to be called a hack. So counter-intuitive.

It's the same with Justin Beiber - I've got no more reason to hate him than any other pop artist. In fact less, I've NEVER heard Beiber on the radio here in Australia, but everyone hates him because it's cool to.

Haven't heard the new Nickelback album but Dark Horse had some cool songs. Clips on YouTube of this album are either bad rips or I'm not a huge fan of the mix.

Big Nickelback fan (both for the music and production), but they have really lost their edge. All The Right Reasons is one of my favorite albums ever. But after that album it seems like almost every song they write is geared towards being radio-friendly. They used to be a pretty heavy rock band but they have really ditched that with the past two albums. All their newer "heavy" songs are the typical strip club/beer drinking songs now. Really disappointing.

just found my favourite song from dark horse on jimmy kimmel live. man, they're really good live, especially the chad's singing.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrXLwac0JaA&hd=1[/ame]

^^ Yep damn straight. They are one of the only bands of the newer generation who can hold up a beast of a live show. I've never been disappointed yet and been to 3, starting with the silver side up tour :)

I have one word for Nickelback: Vacuous
This album is a real case in point.

Production doesn't excite me much either, ATRR was a lot better sounding to my ears (not to say it's a bad production, ATRR sounds a lot better than almost anything ever)

i think kroeger just has a formula to make very catchy music that people like. he also produced music for Default which i didnt know till yesterday (another great canadian band). Music is like clothing in a way; if you wore the same clothing style since the 80's you would look like a dick.. just saying.

I am still in utter awe that you guys actually like Nickleback. I had never heard of a single person that liked them until this forum, where it seems like everyone likes them. I mean the production's great but COME ON.

it's apparent that A LOT of people like nickelback and that's fine. However; I don't see how people like their songs. Yes, some of their older material is good and I did like it and sure they put on a damn good performance, but I feel like the majority of the music is shit. I guess it just goes back to the argument that their are so many under appreciated bands that work hard, put out really good music, and still do not get the recognition they deserve. I don't care if you like nickelback (especially wen it comes to production/live performance) but it blows my mind hearing that some of you actually like their music...to each his own