Nickelback Here & Now- Productions SLAYS!

I am still in utter awe that you guys actually like Nickleback. I had never heard of a single person that liked them until this forum, where it seems like everyone likes them. I mean the production's great but COME ON.

I'll bet money that more of your friends like em then they'll admit.

Alec16: almost every woman I've ever met loves Nickelback. Also the fact that they sell out huge arenas makes your idea that nobody likes Nickelback just your opinion :)

Exactly, we can talk about how shitty they are or how it's impossible to understand how they're so big, but the reality is they are because they have shit loads of fans.

Nickelback is a red state band. I know some people on this forum are probably from red states and will say "fuck that", but they are. It's middle America that buys the largest volume of their albums.

colonel claypoo said:
Nickelback on Kimmel vid

Fuck yeah, Explorers :headbang:

Wonder why they are using those instead of the usual PRS...

Also @alec16: Being an audio production forum, I don't think it's hard to undersand why people like them for the quality of the audio production that is common to their releases. :lol:

Listening to some songs on YT, not a fan of the guitar sound at all during anything except rung out open chords. *shrug* Drums, bass and vocals killer as usual though.

Yep, the guitars sound too meaty or something like this haha :D The rest is really awesome. Songs are not that special.

But still, I really really wanna know how Chad can sing like this... Maybe it would be pretty interesting to use it in a metal song :D
Does anybody know his "technique"?

it's apparent that A LOT of people like nickelback and that's fine. However; I don't see how people like their songs.

Bands are liked based on their songs. If someone likes or dislikes a band based on something else than their music, they need to get their head checked (or grow out of puberty).

It also suprises me that a bunch of posts comment on the "formulaic approach" of Nickelback songs when all popular music is formulaic. Bach, Slayer, Opeth, Morbid Angel, Van Halen, The Beatles and even "progressive" bands like Dream Theater use the same structures and methods over and over again. That's what defines their style. Anything that's so un-formulaic that it can't be comprehended by the majority of the intended audience is essentially useless as popular music. And again, if you think that music is better because it has 7 riffs instead of 3 or odd-time signatures instead of straight 4/4 beats, you too need to grow out of puberty.

I'm not saying everyone has to like Nickelback, but bashing them based on the fact that they play the style of music they play (pop-rock) is like bashing Arch Enemy for playing the style of music they play (modern metal). And if your mom did that, you'd be fuckin' pissed because of her being "sooo intolerant" ... ;)

Exactly, we can talk about how shitty they are or how it's impossible to understand how they're so big, but the reality is they are because they have shit loads of fans.

I fail to see how it's impossible to understand for anyone how they are so big: the songs are very catchy and make dudes nod their heads or girls sing along, the lyrics are very clear and tell stories that regular people can relate to and Chad Kroeger's voice is completely recognizeable after one word he sings. Most bands have neither of these characteristics. That's why Nickelback sell more.

Bands are liked based on their songs. If someone likes or dislikes a band based on something else than their music, they need to get their head checked (or grow out of puberty).

I get that. I was just saying that I do not understand why people like their songs so much. I don't care if a bands songs are simplistic and formulaic. Hell, I listen to and like chevelle and their songs are pretty simple. It's just nickelback songs suck to me. plain and simple. There is nothing appealing to me about them (aside from some of the older stuff).

I get that. I was just saying that I do not understand why people like their songs so much. I don't care if a bands songs are simplistic and formulaic. Hell, I listen to and like chevelle and their songs are pretty simple. It's just nickelback songs suck to me. plain and simple. There is nothing appealing to me about them (aside from some of the older stuff).

That's ok. It's just a matter of taste. There's nothing to understand, really. I'm the same with the Rolling Stones.

I'll bet money that more of your friends like em then they'll admit.

Nickelback is a red state band. I know some people on this forum are probably from red states and will say "fuck that", but they are. It's middle America that buys the largest volume of their albums.

I literally have one friend that wont change the channel as soon as they hear a song come on. Maybe it's just in the urban area that everyone hates them. I'm sure that further down south i'd get some fans. they're probably having the same discussion we are about hardcore music.

If Randy didn't mix them, I wouldn't listen to them. To me their music is a production showcase, and that's enough.

By Sami's definition I need to get my head checked, but that's fine, I knew that already!

If Randy didn't mix them, I wouldn't listen to them. To me their music is a production showcase, and that's enough.

By Sami's definition I need to get my head checked, but that's fine, I knew that already!

Haha, no! Because you clearly don't like the band, but the production. If you said "I really love Nickelback due to the production even though their songs are shit" THEN you'd need to get your head checked.

You just have a huge boner for Randy Staub-mixes, not for Nickelback themselves :)

This is one thing that's almost never touched on when discussing how big some pop/rock/country (country especially) artists are despite the fact that it's probably the main contributor. If you can appeal to middle America (which is a scarily depressing, simple-minded, unconcerned demographic), you'll sell tons of records.

If you can appeal to middle America (which is a scarily depressing, simple-minded, unconcerned demographic), you'll sell tons of records.

I think from a music business perspective it's more like a downloading-unsavvy, good-time-wanting, not-about-trends-caring demographic. And that's a great audience to have. Because they spend money and don't bitch about bullshit to sound self-important.

Yea, I'm not too big on the mix either. The vocals are way too low for my tastes.

Found this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iynt0jBD2U

Nickelback totally kick Metallica's ass live. It's not even the same planet performance wise ...

Glad to hear they hit the triplets correctly in the chorus. It always pissed me off to hear Metallica do it live as quarter notes. The song would completely lose it's groove at that point.

I was gonna post a lengthy, analytical review of the mix on the new album. Then I saw smy1's post with the Metallica comparison and YouTube clip and all my thoughts turned into a mixture of lava and diarrhea and poured out of my ears.

Even if Metallica is horrible these days, and even if most of us secretly like Nickelback (at least All The Right Reasons), there are things you just aren't supposed to say :zombie: