Nietzsche

Maybe that was a bad example but I still believe that everyone has morals which they follow more or less, but that the moral values differ from person to person. Many may not be aware of their own do/do'nt-s, but they are still there.

JayKeeley said:
I wonder. I mean, some of the things that humans have done to one another would make me believe that the emotion of guilt was supressed to the point of complete erasure.
I think in these cases, especially ethnic cleansing examples, one's hatred toward a particular group clouds the guilt that would normally be present, but I'm not sure if it is possible to completely eradicate it. For example I would imagine the remorse felt for avenging a dead relative would be pretty easy to suppress, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Erik said:
Are you really not just strengthening NAD's argument here? The thing is that the nazis did NOT think that killing jews was wrong in any way, quite the opposite, hence "people will feel guilt, or at least the notion of guilt, when they do something that appears wrong" is still very valid even in that case.
I don't know. I guess the question is whether you can turn guilt 'on' or 'off' like a dimmer light-switch, or can you just suppress it to the point of where it feels like it's 'off', but really it's just very 'dim'?

:loco:

Erik said:
What I'm saying is that you only feel guilt when you're doing something you feel is wrong, and while it may be hard for people now to imagine, the nazis did not feel that killing jews was wrong at all because the teachings that jews were less worth than dirt was very firmly entrenched in their minds. Why should you feel guilt for doing something that is the right thing to do, that serves the cause of furthering humanity and the aryan race etc etc?
Yes, I guess the process of genocide requires that frame of thought. Although, it's debatable to say that each German felt it was "the right thing to do". Most of them were simply following orders, and were compelled to do something that they would not normally have done - therefore they supressed their emotional guilt to the point where it became (near) non-existent. That just made the job easier to do, but I have to believe that some of them felt it was wrong - even at a subconcious level. Of course, that is speculative.

JayKeeley said:
Yes, I guess the process of genocide requires that frame of thought. Although, it's debatable to say that each German felt it was "the right thing to do". Most of them were simply following orders, and were compelled to do something that they would not normally have done - therefore they supressed their emotional guilt to the point where it became (near) non-existent. That just made the job easier to do, but I have to believe that some of them felt it was wrong - even at a subconcious level. Of course, that is speculative.
I don't think the german jewkillers felt any guilt because to them there was nothing to feel guilty about. They were probably proud to aid their race and fatherland in the quest to cleanse the earth, from their view.

Erik said:
Right, I'm sure a lot of people felt what they did was wrong, but you spoke about people who truly thought that they were "eradicating a cockroach." That would be the people who were more convinced about the whole ideology.
Sorath said:
I don't think the german jewkillers felt any guilt because to them there was nothing to feel guilty about. They were probably proud to aid their race and fatherland in the quest to cleanse the earth, from their view.
Agreed - in the context of the Nazi ideology as you say, as opposed to each individual Nazi, with their own collective thoughts and emotions.

When I have pre-marital sex with my fiance, it goes against my beliefs and is therefore a sin. But if I don't have sex, my sperm firm will get backed up and will eventually explode, which will cause great pain. So by having pre-marital sex, I am, in essence, dodging pain and "saving" the lives of my future children. So the quagmire is, do I not have pre-marital sex because it goes against my religion? And instead masturbate furiously, which is also a sin because it is lustful? Or do I go ahead and give the fiance the ol' hosedown, release the pressure on my balls and my ball-sac, while at the same time allowing myself and my fiance to one day have children, and also not have to masturbate, and possibly get blue balls?

Since it is man's natural instinct to do what he must to survive, I think I must continue to bang the fiance very hard, very often so as to release the pressure on the nuts. After all, God is forgiving and understand's my situation. That, and sex feels real good.

pffft....Nietzsche was a fag.

Oy, twas. Sorta soberin' up now, watching Snatch at near 5am. I fookin' love weekends.