Night Demon denied entry into Canada

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

Halcyon Way Sufferer
Jan 7, 2002
We regret to announce that we have been denied entry to Canada. After hundreds of dollars in visa application fees, months of preparation, and an eleven hour drive to the U.S./Canadian border, the customs agents still decided to shut down Night Demon. To make matters worse, the U.S. Customs agents have detained us and our tearing apart our vehicle looking for drugs. The biggest disappointment in all of this is not our inconvenience, or loss of time and money, it is that we will not be able to play for the great Night Demon fans of Quebec and Ontario...

I thought about going but kinda glad I stayed put.

Actually if you have any sort of record as well from DUI to something minor...within 10 years of the crime...odds are you will be denied entry. I knew a few bands years ago got stopped. They even drove up in different cars with out gear to get in and got stopped.

Actually if you have any sort of record as well from DUI to something minor...within 10 years of the crime...odds are you will be denied entry. I knew a few bands years ago got stopped. They even drove up in different cars with out gear to get in and got stopped.

Isn't that the case with Voltax now?

Yeah. I know a certain band from Chicago who got denied entry into Canada because of a certain guitarist who had a record. :)

I'm not exactly an expert on getting into canada because, you know, I live here. I do know that the Canadian government has updated the work visa deal for American musicians and it's now actually quite inexpensive and easy to book gigs up here. Jason from Skelator and I were talking about it; it seems like one-offs (like Seattle to Vancouver for example) are actually reasonable now. I'm gonna look that up. I'm sure there are different levels of work permits and visas depending on how long/many dates you're doing. Of course, having your paperwork in order isn't a guarantee that your border officer won't be a cock-smoker (or that your idiot drummer will have forgotten to ditch his weed before getting to the border). When Scythia played our Pacific Northwest tour last year I remember being surprised how easy it was to get a visa for the states. Relatively cheap and you only needed proof of having 3 (or was it five?) gigs booked to apply for it. Tour went off without a hitch.

That other kerfuffle from a few years back had pretty much the entire Canadian music scene in a uproar but in the end it turned out to not be that big a deal. I'm not sure if the laws and fees got changed from public pressure, but what I do know is that the extra musician fees to promoters only occurs when you book an international band in a venue that isn't specifically intended for music performances. So a club like Reggies for example would be safe; their business is based on live music. Other potential venues like restaurants however might be a different story.

And yes the record bit is true. Bands like Nile (I think?) have avoided Canada for ages and ages because one member got caught with weed or something and was charged.

Man I used to be really up on my Canadian entertainment law but I've fallen behind over the past couple years. Use it or lose it, kids!

Ok, as of summer 2014, those crazy fees that were mentioned were dissolved. Not only that, but international acts can tour canada playing bars and restaurants without a work permit at all, so long as you're touring for two weeks or less. Cool!

So, wonder what held Night Demon back. Perhaps the dates of their Canadian tour from late 2014 were too close?

I don't understand anything about work visas and shit, but I remember visiting Prague and just walking right through customs without even getting stopped. Fucking North America scum here.