Nightingale

I love the last two cds, Alive Again and "I". I enjoy the AOR alot so there you go. But as for absolute favorite it would have to be the very first one, The Breathing Shadow, it is dark, it is atmospheric it is completely different than all the rest. And I keep coming back for that reason.

Ben

...best thing Dan Swano has ever created was Nightingale. For me "I" is still the most brilliant album of the decade, If that ends up in my CD playing circulation, it will be there for months at a time. "Alive Again" runs close 2nd, and "The Closing Chronicles" is a very good disc as well. I still have a little bit of trouble getting into the first album... but he was just getting warmed up on it. ;)

The one thing that makes Nightingale so easy to get into, is the accessable melodies, vocal hooks, and the whole delivery of the songs. Some are heavier than others, while others are much more song-oriented while still keeping a sense of progressiveness and sophisticated sheik.

I know Dan has a billion musical projects he works on/in, but as long as he continualy puts out Nightingale material annualy like the last few labums, I will be a happy camper. :D

Maybe it's not the best desription, but if you wnat to know what Nightingale sounds like to me (in my opinion), it's like ASIA meet's mid-80's David Bowie mixed in with a little TOTO and EDGE OF SANITY.

Nightingale stands on it's own mertis above many rock/metal acts today. :worship:

\M/
Dustin

Dustin said:
The one thing that makes Nightingale so easy to get into, is the accessable melodies, vocal hooks, and the whole delivery of the songs. Some are heavier than others, while others are much more song-oriented while still keeping a sense of progressiveness and sophisticated sheik.
Dustin
Actually, that's exactly the reason I found it so hard to get into Nightingale at first. I like much of Nightingale's material now, though there are some duff tracks here and there. Dan's vocals are definately an acquired taste, and the AOR leanings can turn a lot of people off.

ProgMetalFan said:
Actually, that's exactly the reason I found it so hard to get into Nightingale at first. I like much of Nightingale's material now, though there are some duff tracks here and there. Dan's vocals are definately an acquired taste, and the AOR leanings can turn a lot of people off.
Yes, this is true... Nightingale isn't for everyone. :cool: Dans vocals were actually hard for me to get into myself at first because they sounded so... alternative? But, being that I grew up listening to/and was influenced by a lot of the same stuff Dan did (Progressive rock, Late 70's rock, AOR, and early 80's pop) I guess I can hear that in the music and can relate to it. It wasn't long before I got into Dan's clean vox as well....

I believe one must listen to, as well as approach, Nightingale from a diffrent perspective. Anyone excpecting to hear his extreme side like his work in Edge of Sanity or Blood Bath, or are also expeting to hear a prog-metal masterpiece...will be severly disapointed. The music is based more on songwritting and hooks more than anything... and I'm often a sucker for stuff like that. :D

Although I may sound like a hypocrite, because I just said it's not for everyone... when I say that, I'm refering to metal fans of all genres... not the general music fan. I honestly belive that Nightengales' music could go places with the right exposure because of it's accessabilitly, melody and hooks. But it's defaintly not something for the elitist metal fans of any genre, o_O Unless they are a bit more open to other things. :Spin:

\m/
Dustin