The end for The End?

Not at all interested in owning digital content. I want artwork, lyrics, a CD... something to put on the shelves of my CD case. If I got rid of my CDs in favor of all digital content, what would I display in my living room... a picture of my hard drive?

Zod

I'm exactly the opposite. I hate having cd cases and dvd cases cluttering up rooms. I also hate constantly having to expand storage space for them. Previously, I would put all my cd's/dvd's into large books alphabetically. This became annoying too, and now I operate almost exclusively through my hard drives. In fact, when I move, I'm putting my entire dvd collection on hd and using a computer as my entertainment center. But that's just my preference.

Recently I've been downloading from Amazon's digital service, which I highly recommend by the way. I'm like a lot of you, because I'd rather own the disc, artwork etc. With that said, mail order companies are slow as hell in my opinion and I'd rather walk into a store and buy whatever I want. Since I can't do that, legally downloading music is becoming a little more favorable with me. Most importantly at least the bands are making some money off of their product using either method. None of these guys are getting rich, so we need to help them out as much as possible.

~Brian~

Recently I've been downloading from Amazon's digital service, which I highly recommend by the way. I'm like a lot of you, because I'd rather own the disc, artwork etc. With that said, mail order companies are slow as hell in my opinion and I'd rather walk into a store and buy whatever I want. Since I can't do that, legally downloading music is becoming a little more favorable with me. Most importantly at least the bands are making some money off of their product using either method. None of these guys are getting rich, so we need to help them out as much as possible.

~Brian~

I'm exactly the opposite. I hate having cd cases and dvd cases cluttering up rooms. I also hate constantly having to expand storage space for them. Previously, I would put all my cd's/dvd's into large books alphabetically. This became annoying too, and now I operate almost exclusively through my hard drives. In fact, when I move, I'm putting my entire dvd collection on hd and using a computer as my entertainment center. But that's just my preference.

+1 on all accounts...the need for being as mobile as l can be constitutes the need for less clutter. My comp has been my entertainment center for years.

I gave up poster worship back in my teens. :heh:

Not at all interested in owning digital content. I want artwork, lyrics, a CD... something to put on the shelves of my CD case. If I got rid of my CDs in favor of all digital content, what would I display in my living room... a picture of my hard drive?

Zod

I hope you dont buy cd's to be cool and show it off :p

I dont get digital legit downloading either. It costs the same as a real CD and you get only the music. I'll probably never buy from iTunes or Rhapsody or w/e

My biggest concern for digital only is what happens if you have a hard drive failure and you loose all the stuff you've downloaded? For me, I would reburn my CD's - no problem. Do the digital services have a back up plan or some such? I've always wondered that...

Try using http://metalpricewatch.com/

It allows you to search for artists and albums and gives you results from a bunch of different distros so you can compare prices and such.

My biggest concern for digital only is what happens if you have a hard drive failure and you loose all the stuff you've downloaded? For me, I would reburn my CD's - no problem. Do the digital services have a back up plan or some such? I've always wondered that...

eMusic typically allows you to redownload your purchases free of charge. I dump everything on to an external hard drive as a backup though, as I don't want to deal with reripping. I also have a significant portion of my collection on my laptop.

It's interesting... many parallels can be drawn from this discussion to the arguments people were having 20 years ago about not being interested in some lame, tiny disc, and wanting a real vinyl LP, with full packaging and full-size artwork.
I can't claim to be around for when that argument/discussion of LPs vs. CDs initially happened, but I can say that I felt a similar feeling this past week. Nick and I recently purchased a new turntable (that's a record player to all you youngins out there). For the first time in several years I got to experience the joy of listening to some of my record collection again (some hand me downs, some bought personally). I know some of you will bad mouth all the hissing, popping, imperfect sound, etc. that comes along with the playing of an LP, but to me there is just something special about and nothing quite like listening to vinyl, looking at an albums artwork and watching records spin. :headbang:

My deal (pretty darn easy and assembly-line-like):

I don't buy digital music where I'm at the whim of someone else's DRM or mercy of their license server or B.S. like that. (yahoo music stupidity with DRM anyone?)

1. Buy Real CD

2. Rip to 192 kbps or greater mp3 (CDex)

3. Label all ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags properly (MP3 Tag Tools

4. Put CDs on shelves in upstairs junky room :)

5. Put mp3s on 2.5 inch USB Western Digital Passport (big capacity, small size, no external power cord..it vamps usb power)

6. Burn mp3s to DVD-R ISO format (Data CD format) and put in safe deposit box at bank with all the home video DVDs, family photo DVDs full of jpegs, birth certificates and other papers that would suck to lose in a fire.

If my Western Digital ever crashed, then I would go get the DVD-Rs out of the deposit box instead of re-ripping.

Hope DVD rot is a myth if I ever have to rely on them. I'm a computer guy, and I've had TONS of media burned in my days, and I've NEVER had a CD or DVD I've burned go bad in any way except for physical damages from scratches, breaking, etc. I've never had layers peel off or degrade. Of course I only use good media too...not the bargain bin junk.

As last resort, of course, the real CDs are on the shelf if I need to rerip.

If I got rid of my CDs in favor of all digital content, what would I display in my living room... a picture of my hard drive?
Silly enough. However, what you should do is buy an instrument.
A quality (maybe even high-priced?) guitar would do just fine. ;)
Then when you've spent a day or two either playing or polishing the thing go out look for another, and another, and... you get the idea.
Most instruments are also larger, take your average Grand Piano for instance :Smug:, than a regular Jewel Case so you won't need a thousand of them to make an impact.

Then one day when I come by to visit you won't have to think about what to talk about, or even talk to me at all, unless you want to. In which case, I might add, you'll probably find me agreeing to and with anything you say...
:)

How are these ripping programs different/better than Real Player or WMP? Not being a smart guy, just was curious. I usually use WMP, I pop in a CD, WMP asks me if I would like it to add the music to my Library, I click 'yes', 40-50 seconds later, it's done.